Opening weekend success!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This small guy still has velvet on his antlers. Taken with a Barnett crossbow, Megameat mechanical broadhead. Performed well. Double lung, above the heart. He went about 50-60 yards..trail was not great but it could be followed. I think one disadvantge to hunting from ground level is that the exit wounds are high and less blood falls to the ground than if you shoot from an elevated position and the exit wound faces down essentially. Entrance side is the side with no splatter. Exit is the messy side.

Attachments

• IMG_3535.JPG
    IMG_3535.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3552.JPG
    IMG_3552.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
That's a nice eater. Great hit too. Congrats!
Thanks. The shot went through both lungs and avoided any bones...the bolt had enough energy behind it that it actually flew 20 yards past the deer...It had a lighted nock, that is how I found it. The blood trail though...frustrating. I did some searches and found threads at both crossbow nation and archery talk about ground blinds and poor blood trails because of the high exit. The advice there was to aim a little lower, try for the heart. One thing for sure is that at 20-30 yards, these crossbow bolts are moving so fast that I don't think deer can react to them, so holding a little lower may make sense. I found the deer after maybe 5-8 minutes, but the trail was sparse and I suspect we all know that sinking feeling when the deer does not drop in sight...

Roger That. As I got older I called deer hunting, before the first frost, as hunting a bag of ticks.
I killed a nice doe during muzzleloader season last year and it's ears was covered with ticks! That was early January! Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back