Optima pistol strikes again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Not a huge deer but I figure any pistol kill I make at my age is a worth kill.

.225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB bullet in a plain green sabot ahead of 63 weighed grains of BH 209. 62 yards broadside pretty much in deep grass. No heart left at all and the lungs were pretty much soup.

Really windy this morning but being Monday hunter presence was mill, well except for me. A lot of deer traffic right at first light but well out of range for me or moving and not stopping. I was just getting settle for the wait until 10 when I planned to jump ship because it’s supposed to be ridiculous warm later today when I turned and looked at this grassy patch that hasn’t had a deer in it this season and saw it’s back.
I got the pistol tested and sighted and when he took a couple steps and turned, boom. Dropped on the spot. Hit right where I aimed.

This guy is just right for some tasty sticks.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 3
Congrats Tom, you did good. A lot of good venison treats coming from that one I bet. :lewis:

MM... I tagged a doe on opening Saturday and used the management tag on her. I used my regular license to tag the buck and am going to head to Scheels and pick up the last tag I am allowed this afternoon. I'm staying out of the woods now until Weds. Its going to be near 60 if not warmer today so I need to get the hide off and the meat quartered and in the freezer yet today. I've been up at four every morning since Saturday and haven't gotten home until 6:30 or so, so today is sort of a reprieve. I'm taking tomorrow to heal a bit, that damned mountain I climb has some of my joints angry.

And Jimyjac, I spend a lot of time at the range and I take the pistol every time I go there and run at least five rounds thru it each trip so I stay well tuned to the little idiosyncrasies that these guns have. At 62 yards, this deer was the longest shot I have taken at an aminal with it and I was 100% confident. The practice pays huge dividends.

.225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB bullet in a plain green sabot ahead of 63 weighed grains of BH 209. 62 yards broadside pretty much in deep grass. No heart left at all and the lungs were pretty much soup.

Really windy this morning but being Monday hunter presence was mill, well except for me. A lot of deer traffic right at first light but well out of range for me or moving and not stopping. I was just getting settle for the wait until 10 when I planned to jump ship because it’s supposed to be ridiculous warm later today when I turned and looked at this grassy patch that hasn’t had a deer in it this season and saw it’s back.
I got the pistol tested and sighted and when he took a couple steps and turned, boom. Dropped on the spot. Hit right where I aimed.

Nice freezer stuffer !/Ed

That's .225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB bullet in a plain green sabot ahead of 63 weighed grains of BH 209. 62 yards broadside pretty much in deep grass. No heart left at all and the lungs were pretty much soup.

Awesome story....nice deer! Congrats......I dropped a small buck with only a 200 grain sabot out of my Knight a few years ago. Dropped right in its tracks!

Latest posts

Back