Ordering An Accurate Mold How To

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only casted from factory molds, so I'm not sure I know exactly how to word this question. I understand how to slug my bore, although I have not done this yet.
Lets say I've slugged my .54 cal. bore and it measures .541., and I've decided on mold 54-4851.
On that molds catalog pic it shows the outside diameter of the driving band as .544. ( this is what Accurate mold refers too as body diameter and in the drop down menu it gives you multiple dia. options).). Since my barrel slugged at .541 what dia. should I choose for my mold?
Then the dia. of the grooves in the mold's catalog pic it shows a dia. of .499. What should my mold's dia. be in this groove, based on my slugged .541 dia.? Also it appears there is no option for choosing the dia. of this bullets grove? Do I Put a dia. for this measurement in special notes?

if you got a sizer for your rifle then no problem-o
however most do not size for M/L so you want your mold to be a couple thou, at most, over bore even if it's a R.E.A.L bullet
they get real hard to slam down the barrel if there to big
you want to take the largest diameter of the bullet and not worry about groove size
Tom is a good guy to deal with any questions just ask he will gladly help

Back