pa. flintlock season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good luck kodiak.  do you have any CWD down your way?  None up my way (Northumberland Co.) yet!
I'll be heading out to.  Maybe even taking a jaunt up to Clinton Co. and do some hunting up there

im so pumped right now... I took my gun back out today to shoot it cause we had warm weather …. I love you I hate you very quickly. then 2 within a thumb print together . then I stopped . im in love again

I like this season because, except for my buddy, I very rarely see another hunter. I'm hoping for just a bit of snow though. 
The rifles I plan on using this year are my T/C Renegade with a GM barrel in .58 cal 1:70 twist and my Pedersoli Frontier Rifle in .50 cal. I believe its a 1:60 twist rate.

Well I was curious and went to the Pedersoli site.  Son of a gun.  The Frontier Rifle has a 1:48 twist! I was shocked.  Not that I would nor that I am opposed to conicals but I bet it would shoot 250 gr REALs pretty good.

That is great news about the sabots because I just purchased a Petersoli Hawken for the flintlock season here in Pa.  l’ve always had a few muzzle loader, but this is my first flintlock.

I did purchase for 2f and 4f, some round ball and conicals.

im back from hunting.....shot at deer 4 different times and missed every time ...but i found 2 sheds that should make good soup

im back also , shot a doe missed a monster buck, shot doe with a custom 50 cal flintlock, patch round ball with frontier anti-rust & patch lube, it was pouring rain when I shot her, had calf knee over lock

im switching back to my fast twist 45. i hate coming home empty handed. that rain was something else, the crick i was crossing to hunt flooded and i had to find another place to hunt. but on a good note i went to cabelas and got a montana deer decoy .they work

I managed to get a nice doe in the October muzzleloader season in PA. I shot 70 grains of 2f Swiss with a .020 patch and a .490 ball in an RMC Accusporter.

steady eddie said:
i thought the rmc was a fast twist too?
I think they made different barrels. My gun is older and I bought it used. It shoots beautiful groups with a patched ball. I tried a 250 grain XTP and a sabot with 80 grains and that grouped too.

bronko22000 said:
I like this season because, except for my buddy, I very rarely see another hunter. I'm hoping for just a bit of snow though. 
That's the way the Jan. Big Game Season is in Colorado, not many hunters like wading snow up to their belt buckles in the Northern part of the state. If they do hunt up here it's usually road hunting from their vehicle, not down in the timber where the game is.

I have several cousins that are still on our grandfather's farm near State College PA, average hunting for the area, all private ground with 500 acres of woodland, about the same acreage for meadows and cultivated fields. 

Either place we always use flintlocks, haven't had a cartridge gun out of the safe for a few years.

Back