Pennsylvania Hogs...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
State and federal officials are sounding the alarm over Pennsylvania's rapidly growing population of wild hogs, highly aggressive and destructive animals that pose serious threats to farms and wildlife.

A government investigation launched in the fall shows the state might have as many as 3,000 of the tusked beasts -- a number far greater than officials first believed. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has evidence of at least 300 hogs killed by hunters this past winter alone.
What?s being taken [by hunters] is just scratching the surface of what's there,'' said Harris Glass, state director of USDA Wildlife Services.

When USDA and the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture launched their $60,000 wild hog study in November, officials thought they were dealing with perhaps several hundred animals. They have since determined at least five counties -- Bedford, Bradford, Butler, Cambria and Tioga -- have significant breeding populations of hogs.

The state Game Commission has confirmed wild hog sightings in 15 counties since 1993, including Carbon and Schuylkill in 2004. Unconfirmed sightings have been reported from Montgomery and another county.

''I think we're getting close to the point where this thing is going to be an unstoppable train,'' said David R. Griswold, assistant director of the state Agriculture Department's bureau of animal health and diagnostic services. ''Once you get a certain number of breeding adults around -- and they have litters twice a year -- you can see populations increase at quite a rapid rate.''

Wildlife officials are worried because wild hogs cause major habitat damage and compete with native animals for food. They also are known to kill fawns and numerous ground-nesting birds, including wild turkeys and grouse.

Agriculture officials say the hogs can devastate crops and spread disease to the state's nearly 1 million domestic pigs. Pennsylvania is among the top 10 pork-producing states, and the pig industry generates an annual economic impact of nearly $241 million.

The Lehigh Valley and six neighboring counties had 84,700 commercially raised hogs in 2005, the USDA says. Berks is the biggest local producer by far, with 54,100 hogs. Schuylkill was second with 18,600 hogs.

''If they come up to our barns and infect our commercial operations, then our whole state gets quarantined,'' said Tom Sollenberger, president of the Pennsylvania Pork Producers Council. ''Not being able to ship pigs out is a real problem.''

Wild hogs can carry 30 viral and bacterial diseases and 37 parasites that affect people, pets, livestock and wildlife. Among the most worrisome are brucellosis, which can abort pregnancies in domestic pigs, and pseudorabies, which doesn't infect humans but could require commercial pig farmers to euthanize their herds.

''In other states where they have done enough testing to be statistically significant, they are finding up to 30 to 50 percent of the population infected with one or both of those diseases,'' Griswold said.

So far, officials haven't detected any diseases in Pennsylvania hogs, but Griswold noted fewer than a dozen animals have been tested.

Next month, Griswold hopes to convene a meeting of Pennsylvania's feral swine task force, a public-private coalition that includes representatives from the state and federal agriculture departments, the Game Commission and other government, university and private concerns.

''At this point, I am not sure anybody has the ideal answer,'' Griswold said.

Where did they come from?

Wild hogs have inhabited North America since the early 1500s, when they were introduced by Spanish explorers. Additional hogs have been imported ever since for agriculture and hunting.

Today, wild hogs are found in at least 31 other states, from New Hampshire to Hawaii. Texas has 2 million, and Glass said hunters in Florida buy more licenses to hunt hogs than to hunt for deer.

No one knows where and when Pennsylvania's wild hog problem started. But there's a consensus the hogs escaped or were released from one or more of the state's commercial hog-hunting preserves. Authorities have identified such operations in at least 15 counties, though none in the Lehigh Valley. The closest are in Schuylkill and Lancaster.

Glass noted the five counties where feral hogs are known to be reproducing all have at least one hog-hunting preserve. A man in Bradford County told Glass he has removed more than 70 wild hogs from his property in the past three years.

Officials say the number of hog-hunting operations in Pennsylvania could be significantly greater than what they're aware of. That's because hogs are considered domestic animals, not wildlife, and aren't covered by state hunting regulations. Those who want to hunt them can do so anytime without a license.

''We have no jurisdictional authority for feral pigs,'' Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser said.
He said hog-hunting operations that also offer hunts for species that require a permit -- such as deer and elk -- are easy to identify. But preserves that offer only hogs can operate with no oversight.

Sollenberger said state regulations require imported pigs to be checked by a veterinarian and certified to be disease-free. However, it is difficult to catch violators.

''There's no one at the border waiting to pull over a livestock truck and checking whether you've got your papers,'' Sollenberger said.

What can be done?

Government officials say immediate action is needed to keep Pennsylvania's wild pig population under control.

''I'd say the clock is ticking,'' Griswold said.

When officials announced their hog surveillance effort in November, they encouraged hunters to kill hogs. Since then, officials have learned hog hunting has become popular in some places and hunters might unwittingly be pushing the hogs into new areas.

Glass said hunting alone won't control the population. That's because hogs can reproduce quickly and are intelligent animals that quickly respond by migrating elsewhere.

''Hunting pressure has already expanded the range of these pigs,'' Griswold said. ''It's expanded them into new areas, and theoretically, it's setting up breeding populations in areas where we didn't have them.''

Kansas, which launched a $125,000 hog control program last year, banned hog hunting after wildlife officials said the sport was pushing the animals off public land onto private property. Kansas officials also said allowing hog hunting encouraged those who enjoy the sport to import their own pigs and release them.

Griswold said Pennsylvania hunters who think having wild hogs is a bonus need to consider their impact on other game species.

''Having a large population of feral swine in an area is not without trade-offs, because they compete with deer, turkeys and grouse,'' Griswold said. ''You better like hunting hogs, because you are going to be hunting fewer of Pennsylvania's other game species in that same area.''

Trapping might work better

Glass said a trapping is more effective. It allows authorities to capture entire families of hogs and collect blood and tissue samples to test for disease.

In Kansas, trapping programs have reduced the wild hog population by 60 percent to 75 percent in some areas within two years. So far, Glass said, trapping in Pennsylvania has been hampered by hunters who shoot hogs in baited areas. Although a few hogs are killed, the rest tend to run away and not come back.

''We don't have any problem with hunters who are out in the woods shooting these things, but please stay out of the areas where we are trying to do baiting and trapping,'' Griswold said. ''Give us a year or two to get this population under control.''

Melody Zullinger, executive director of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs, didn't know hunters might be unintentionally worsening the hog problem. ''We're in full support of doing whatever we can to get rid of them,'' she said.

Besides hunting and trapping, measures used in other states include gunning from helicopters, tracking hogs with hounds and using Judas pigs -- radio-collared animals released and given time to join a group of wild hogs before being tracked.

Griswold noted neither the state Agriculture Department nor USDA has anyone devoted full time to the problem. Funding is limited, and getting more money might be difficult unless testing confirms the presence of diseased hogs.

''If it threatens our livestock industry ? then it takes on a whole other level of importance,'' he said.

If they have two good sized litters a year I could easily see a big problem. We have several areas near here in Ohio that have had verified feral hogs seen. It seems to be a growing and ever expanding problem. Perhaps no limits on the ability to shoot them, just like groundhogs. No season and no limits on woodchucks and there are always plenty around. The feral hogs can really be destructive to vegetation and other animals.

know of any state land that there on , near NY ? I'd love to help with the problem.

:D

Omega Man said:
Found em' , know exactly where a big herd is - thanks :lol:
Omega,
I have never hunted PA. What is the PA law as regarding a hunting license to go after these things? I am in the Mid-Hudson Valley, and would love a chance to take a crack at them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please don't take this to mean that I am asking for the location of the bunch you found. I am just looking for general info. about hunting in PA.
Thanks

I believe the PGC has now declared an open season. I will dbl ck though & repost if im mistaken.

May 8, 2008 PGC News Release:

2008 Press Releases
Search Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency Home Back Printable Version
Release #050-08

GAME COMMISSION REMOVES PROTECTION ON FERAL SWINE
First step in effort toward eradication of invasive species

Feral swine threaten the Commonwealth's wildlife and livestock industry.
Get Image

HARRISBURG - At the unanimous direction of the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners, and in response to a recent state Supreme Court ruling, Carl G. Roe, agency executive director, today issued an order removing protection on feral swine in 64 of the state's 67 counties. Counties where protection remains in effect are Butler, Bedford and Cambria counties.

"We are maintaining protection on feral swine in Butler, Bedford and Cambria counties to facilitate trapping by the U.S. and Pennsylvania departments of Agriculture," Roe said. "Trapping is the most effective way to remove feral swine from the wild, because it limits their dispersal into new areas. If funding is not available for trapping, we may consider lifting protection in these three counties, as well.

"The Game Commission has determined that the eradication of feral swine from Pennsylvania is necessary to prevent further harm to public and private property, threats to native wildlife and disease risks for wildlife and the state's pork industry. We are not seeking to establish a hunting season, but we are committed to rid Pennsylvania of this invasive species."

Roe noted that the Game Commission has launched a "Feral Swine" section on its website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), and includes links to the executive order and a map delineating the counties in which feral swine may be taken incidental to other hunting seasons.

Licensed hunters, including those who qualify for license and fee exemptions, are eligible to participate in the unlimited incidental taking of feral swine. They may use manually-operated rifles, revolvers or shotguns, as well as and muzzleloaders, bows and crossbows. All other methods and devices legal for taking feral swine much be conducted in compliance with the provisions of Section 2308 of Title 34 (Game and Wildlife Code), which can be view on the agency's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) in the "Laws & Regulations" section in the left-hand column of the homepage.

Additionally, the agency may issue permits to authorize individuals to engage in feral swine trapping operations, including the U.S. and Pennsylvania departments of Agriculture. Feral swine trapping, by permitted individuals, will only be allowed from the close of the flintlock muzzleloading season in mid-January to the beginning of spring gobbler season, and from the end of spring gobbler season until the beginning of archery deer season.

Roe noted that incidental taking of feral swine is permitted outside of trapping seasons in Bedford, Butler and Cambria counties.

Any person who kills a feral swine must report it to the Game Commission Region Office that serves the county in which the harvest took place within 24 hours.

Roe encouraged residents who witness feral swine to contact the Region Office that serves their county. For contact information, as well as list of counties that each region office serves, visit the Game Commission's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), click on the "Contact Us" link in the left-hand column of the homepage and scroll down to "Region Offices."

Nearly 25 states across the nation have persistent and possibly permanent populations of feral swine established in the wild, and Pennsylvania is one of 16 new states where introduction is more recent and may still be countered through decisive eradication efforts.

Feral swine have been declared to be an injurious, non-native, invasive species of concern in Pennsylvania that are suspected to have been introduced into the wilds of this Commonwealth through a variety of means, including both intentional and unintentional releases. Feral swine also have been determined to pose a significant, imminent and unacceptable threat to this Commonwealth's natural resources, including wildlife and its habitats; the agricultural industry, including crop and livestock production; the forest products industry; and human health and safety.

"A local farmer contacted me after he planted and re-planted a cornfield three times because feral swine were rooting up his corn," said Jonathan Zuck, Game Commission Land Management Group Supervisor for Bedford and Fulton counties. "The farmer told me he would rather have deer damaging his crops, because at least he would still get a stalk to harvest. The swine, on the other hand, root up the corn while it is still germinating leaving behind only dirt. I also had reports of the swine rooting fields of winter wheat."

Zuck noted that he also has witnessed feral swine damages to State Game Lands (SGLs), including food plots, vernal pools and the soils around trees.

LMGS Jonathan Zuck stands in a hole that is more than one foot deep that was caused by feral swine rooting on SGL 49 in Bedford County.
Get Image

"Recently, on SGL 49, I found a hole that was more than one foot deep that was caused by feral swine rooting," Zuck said. "Last week, I was checking a food plot and noticed where feral swine had rooted about a quarter of a winter wheat food plot. During the same week, I survey rooting damage to a grass field on SGL 97 near Chaneysville. Most of the damage I have observed on and off game lands has been limited to grass fields or food plots with wheat. Rooting activity in grass fields looks similar to damage caused by a shallow-running plow as the grasses and associated soils are turned over. The damage is spotty, but where it does occur it is quite severe as often the vegetation is wiped out, exposing bare soils."

Zuck noted that, in addition to disturbing vegetation, feral swine are out competing native wildlife for natural foods, such as acorns, especially during the fall and winter months.

"I can easily envision a feral swine preying upon a turkey or grouse nest or wallowing in a seep, but some people may not recognize that feral swine are robbing wildlife of its limited food resources," Zuck said. "A group of up to 10 feral swine can consume a large quantity of acorns in a short amount of time, leaving very little mast behind for deer, turkeys, squirrels, and other wildlife."

The Game and Wildlife Code (Title 34) and agency regulations (Title 58) provide broad authority to the Game Commission to regulate activities relating to the protection, preservation and management of all game and wildlife. However, the agency was only recently declared to have jurisdiction over matters relating to feral swine by the state Supreme Court in Seeton v. PGC. In its decision, handed down on Dec. 27, the Supreme Court decision declared feral swine to be "protected mammals," and, as a consequence, feral swine could only be taken as authorized by the agency. Without established harvest rules, the Supreme Court declared them protected until such time as the agency takes action.

Missouri's approach is pretty straight-forward... "The Conservation Department asks that all hunters who encounter a feral hog shoot it on sight."

Underclocked said:
Missouri's approach is pretty straight-forward... "The Conservation Department asks that all hunters who encounter a feral hog shoot it on sight."

I like that UC!!! :lol: :lol:

I wonder how receptive landowners in that part of Pennsylvania would be to hunters asking for permission?

I have to agree. If feral hogs are a problem or a threat to the ecological system then you would want them eradicated. Right? What better way then to lift all sanctions on them. Shoot on sight. Trap or what ever you want. Now that makes sense. Instead these game departments want to run the show. Set down rules, and if at all possible make a buck or two off the hunters.

A few questions.. are the feral hogs really full of disease like some people claim? You would think it would be easy to talk or encourage some people to shoot them on site if they felt that the meat from them would be theirs. If I lived in a place with a large hog population that was legal to shoot. I would be eating a lot of lean pork...

The law in NY is all you need is a licsence and you have to use the correct hunting implement according to the season that you are hunting them at the time . After late season Muzzleloading through to the next Archery season any firearm can be used , even rifle in the southern zones(open season ) . As far as the DEC -they too want any and as many taken if possible to eradicate them , but it is a touchy situation , because if a lot of hunters go after them they will spread and separate the herds which will eventually spread them in a bigger area which is not good . They were trying to trap them because they are isolated in a small area right now , I believe most in my area are on private property right now so anyone can't just go out and hunt unless they have permission .

Any person who kills a feral swine must report it to the Game Commission Region Office that serves the county in which the harvest took place within 24 hours.

Yep, the bureaucrats have to have their way.

"We are maintaining protection on feral swine in Butler, Bedford and Cambria counties to facilitate trapping by the U.S. and Pennsylvania departments of Agriculture," Roe said. "Trapping is the most effective way to remove feral swine from the wild, because it limits their dispersal into new areas. If funding is not available for trapping, we may consider lifting protection in these three counties, as well.

Protect feral hogs from hunters while a bunch of folks on the state and federal payroll trap them: Totally idiotic. This is the same kind of bureaucratic mistake that every state that is now over run with hogs made in the past.

Parts of OK are over run with wild hogs. The state still wusses around and will not let us hunt hogs with a gun at night.

A few questions.. are the feral hogs really full of disease like some people claim?

Feral hogs can have several diseases such as pseudorabies and erysipelas. These same diseases can be carried by domestic hogs: You already knew that. So long as a person wears kitchen gloves while field dressing and skinning hogs there is no problem. If you get offal or blood on your skin wash it off as soon as possible.

You would think it would be easy to talk or encourage some people to shoot them on site if they felt that the meat from them would be theirs. If I lived in a place with a large hog population that was legal to shoot. I would be eating a lot of lean pork...

These are the same bureaucratic types that claim that if you kill off all the does and button bucks the deer herd will improve. In some states a meat processor is not allowed to take a feral hog unless it has a stamp from some bureaucrat an the state Dep't of Agriculture. This rules out any possibliity of taking a wild hog to a meat processor.

Yep, despite the fact that the folks at state Fish and Game Dept's know that hogs are real pests they continue to obfuscate and "study" the problem. God forbid that they should ask for help from a state that has already studied the problem. Yep, they have to run their very own DNA and blood tests.

In the past ten years i've killed oodles of wild hogs. Have never found one that was obviously sick or diseased.

hogs

I can garuantee you those hogs in N. Butler county in PA will never see a trap. Maybe a roaster. We have some that were let loose as a result of a game farmer gone bad, in our area and baby they can chew up the ground. If the electric is off the fence they will blow right threw it. The locals are eating good! From what I have read the trapping programs are not real successful in ohter states. PA I beleive wants to make them a hunting situation to begin the process of Hog stamps or something of that sort.

Do you go after a sow or boar? Removal of males will cut down on overall populations. But that means a lot of removals (no problems with that!) before the overall population falls off.

You are incorrect. Removel of males will increase the population. Removal of sows decreases the population.

One male can mate with many sows. Rid yourself of sows and boar's cannot mate. Which in turn decreases the population.

Kansas learned this the hard way with deer.

You are incorrect. Removel of males will increase the population. Removal of sows decreases the population.

One male can mate with many sows. Rid yourself of sows and boar's cannot mate. Which in turn decreases the population.

Kansas learned this the hard way with deer.
But if you remove the boar, no sow gets bred...not that that gives them a free pass!

This thread is ancient. It appears that PA and the USDA have greatly reduced the feral hog problem.

Large solitary boars pretty much roam about searching for sows and food. We see numerous boars on game cameras at the lease the property in Garvin county. About one third of the mature sows we shoot and trap are not pregnant and have never born a litter.

Back