Filling Freezers - Public land - Chapter 1 The Pocosin Lakes NWR Project.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samoset

Reaction score
Well I originally joined these forums with the sole intention of broadening my horizons in the distance of my effectiveness(Bow Hunter) While benefiting from some of the early or late seasons afforded to black powder seasons.

With the sole intentions on using the information I gained here on one particular hunt.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/...he-sika-chronicles-chapter-1-r-d.58930/page-2

A little after I began down that path I started to realize that it would be foolish not to implement and start practicing with the gear I’ve started assembling for said adventure in order to be prepared once I reach my destination. Especially, If I could do so in my own back yard so to speak and find a place , if not multiple places a little closer to home to put this all to practice.

So I dove into the world around me and the different types of critters I could hunt with my bow and my Patriot upon its arrival. Looking for I location with swamp, marsh and flooded timber areas. Didn’t have any hopes up for finding frag, but I’ll take what I can get. A place located in coastal river, bay or sound ares. One that might help me gain the experience and confidence needed to execute, on my original goals.

a Training grounds of sorts.

Not just one that has the environmental challenges necessary, but that also offers the opportunity for success and a game animal to hunt that can provide a reward to make the challenge worth the work.

Meat in the freezer which is my ultimate goal.

I’ve recently started looking into and doing research to find out if Pocosin lakes National Wildlife Refuge , truly has a healthy enough feral swine population to make this a place of interest to me, I’m of understanding nutria beavers and a few other critters my be on the table as well, until I actually sort out all the information and decide wether or not if in fact this is something worth my efforts I’m still in the R&D phase of all this.

But it’s close enough to home , the environment checks a a lot of the boxes, and there are potentially a few different meat sources available that are not in my literal backyard.

So if there is anyone that has any information on this area and the game it holds, especially hogs I’d be sincerely appreciative of anything you would be willing to share.

Thanks In advance

Last edited:
Made it down to Petegrew state park on late Phelps yesterday morning to spend a night camping with my oldest son and one of our pups. We visited somerset place and did a little driving around learning the boundaries of picosin lakes nwmr . We found the visitor center right after they closed so we are headed back there first thing after some campfire steak tacos .

To see what we can learn so here on the state park lands plenty of sign of bears no piggies yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2894.jpeg
    IMG_2894.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2893.jpeg
    IMG_2893.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2890.jpeg
    IMG_2890.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
We made it out to the visitor center in Columbia about 12:45pm a bit later then I intended to but I did my best this entire trip to not make this trip about my agenda and more about hanging out and catching up with my oldest boy and just enjoying my time with him.

We gaind a little information on where we could access the reserve that was actually open to vehicular transport.

However it was about 45 minutes from our current location and then about a hour fifteen from home and it’s was a bit late in the day for all that-so we made the best of the the time we had at this wrong end of the reserve and headed home. Over all a good weekend.

Now that I have a location for the kiosk and access point I have a found a privately owned campground nearby. I’ll be headed back down in a few weeks to continue the explorations
To be continued….

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpeg
    12.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2903.jpeg
    IMG_2903.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2902.jpeg
    IMG_2902.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2896.jpeg
    IMG_2896.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Count me jealous too. At one point in the past I'd hoped to do something similar at Cohutta WMA in north Georgia during small game season in hopes of it being a cheap pack in "mountain" hunting experience for poor white trash such as myself. Research indicated that a certain demographic of locals liked to rehome anything left in the remote, unattended parking areas. Hopefully you don't run into anything like that. Good luck & thanks for sharing 👍

Latest posts

Back