percussion pistol for hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bailebr3

Reaction score
does anyone use a sidelock pistol for hunting? ive always loved handgun hunting and now with the new found addiction to bp, im looking at various bp handguns. one in particular is the traditions trapper .50. any opinions or pics? :)

thanks guys!

It is difficult to even find one that is legal for deer hunting. Very few choices.
The CVA Optima is one that is but it is not a side lock.

Even if the traditional horse pistol you choose is legal for deer hunting in your State.. you really are limited in range of shots. I used to shoot a 45 caliber Jukar. Actually for a cheap pistol it shot really well and was a lot more accurate then I ever expected. But I would have never considered hunting with it.

The Optima Pistol while not traditional is a very good choice and a proven performer.

I have a TC Patriot, a Lyman and a Pedersoli and none are legal in Kansas for deer hunting. The barrels are too short.
The CVA Optima is legal and has a 14" barrel but as I said, it is not a side lock. It is very accurate but has a recoil as you would imagine.

ebiggs1 said:
I have a TC Patriot, a Lyman and a Pedersoli and none are legal in Kansas for deer hunting. The barrels are too short.
The CVA Optima is legal and has a 14" barrel but as I said, it is not a side lock. It is very accurate but has a recoil as you would imagine.

Yeah. .. I hear you. . .I think the minimum length of a barrel is 10". Seems like most pistols are 9 15/16 inches long <smile>

I think a CVA optima Pistol is on my agenda for next season.

Check out this Pistol Shot from 1989.

hunting004-2.jpg

My dad and I built this from a kit when I was 12 years old. Its a .45 cal Percussion kit from Italy. 60 grains of FFG Pyrodex was the load with 440 RB with ten thousands patch. 60 yard shot.

I used one for squirrels and rabbits. It's a lot of fun.

We can't use them for deer here.

Edwardamason said:

hunting004-2.jpg

My dad and I built this from a kit when I was 12 years old. Its a .45 cal Percussion kit from Italy. 60 grains of FFG Pyrodex was the load with 440 RB with ten thousands patch. 60 yard shot.

BTW, that is a good shot! I couldn't do it with out the scope. I just ain't that good anymore.

ebiggs1 said:
Edwardamason said:

BTW, that is a good shot! I couldn't do it with out the scope. I just ain't that good anymore.

I did quite a bit of pistol shooting in my day. Shot a lot of silhouette matches right around that time so I was quite steady. Shooting those little steel targets no doubt had me dialed in ready for this shot.

I think I might have to break this one out of retirement and practice with it some more. Its been a while since I shot it.

the optima pistol is very interesting!!! what would you compare the recoil to?

It is capable of shooting anything from a a 200 to 350 gr bullet. It can handle up to 150 grs of powder but can only burn 100 grs in it's 14" barrel.
The load I shoot is a 245 gr PB with 90 grs of Pyrodex RS and a Win 209 primer.
So the recoil is just about what you want. :D It can be pretty heavy as you might suspect.

Try the 200gr SST in a 50x40 sabot with 80gr of T7 FFFg or BH209. IIRC that load works good for Busta.

so i have to admit i am a little recoil sensitive:) i can shoot hot .357 loads all day but once i step over the .44 special threshold i become less accurate and dont enjoy shooting. so what would you compare the recoil of the optima to with say 90grs. of pyrodex?

You will not like the Optima pistol.:eek:
It is more comparable to a 44 S&W mag. :)
And with one of the very heavy loads maybe even a 500 S&W. :shock:

I've done a lot of shooting with a .44 Mag with 6 1/2" barrel, and my optima is not quite as bad. I'm shooting two 50 grain 777 pellets and a 250 grain T/C Shockwave Sabot (Hornandy SST). I'd say more muzzle rise, but not as sharp in the web of the hand. I used to need a shooting glove for the .44 if I wanted to shoot more than 8-10 rounds. I shot 25-30 with the Optima and never needed them. Maybe I'm toughening up in my old age? :)

Have you tried a much heavier bullet? Somewhere in the 300+ gr size?
And 120 grs of Pyrodex P loose powder?
I am sure that will get you all the recoil you want! :lol:

I am getting wimpier in my old age :shock:

Latest posts

Back