places to stay

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well,my brother called today to confirm that our elk hunt is still on for 2nd rifle season in Oct.He has chosen a place named Pueblo in the south eastern part of colorado.He said that is an area where elevation is 4000-6200 ft.But he does not want to camp out in a tent.So I am trying to look at gmu's in that area that have public land and blm.I have come up with several units in that area.Does anyone know of campgrounds or places that has cheap housing?He says he is going there to hunt and sees no sense in spending a lot of money just to sleep.I agree but can not get him to budge on just sleeping in an area where we might be hunting.Colorado did shorten their season by 5 days this year,so we won't be there as long as I had expected.I thought of camp grounds,but don't know what to look for.

Well,my brother called today to confirm that our elk hunt is still on for 2nd rifle season in Oct.He has chosen a place named Pueblo in the south eastern part of colorado.He said that is an area where elevation is 4000-6200 ft.But he does not want to camp out in a tent.So I am trying to look at gmu's in that area that have public land and blm.I have come up with several units in that area.Does anyone know of campgrounds or places that has cheap housing?He says he is going there to hunt and sees no sense in spending a lot of money just to sleep.I agree but can not get him to budge on just sleeping in an area where we might be hunting.Colorado did shorten their season by 5 days this year,so we won't be there as long as I had expected.I thought of camp grounds,but don't know what to look for.
Thats exciting Jim. My best wishes that you find a great place that you are happy with & you have the hunt of a lifetime. Plz keep us posted as to how things are going.

It's a shame he wont camp out, the further you are from people the better the hunting typically is. No matter where you are in the world.

Agreed with Bushfire. I cant emphasize enough the advantages of camping where you hunt. No travel means more rest time and no drive time. A quick breakfast instead of getting up early to go to a restaurant. Sitting by the fire and enjoying the tranquility. Food is always better when you camp.

I have to say here and I may be speaking out of turn. Your brother seems pretty demanding. He wants what he wants and seems a little rigid. If he wants a place to stay tell him to get on the phone and find one. Its his hunt also.

Agree to all of the above suggestions and statements.I want the experience of a complete diy hunt.There are a lot of places that have free camping and on the blm as well.I would rather take the time that we will be driving to hunt to just get up and start hunting from where we could be camping.Plus the extra money we spend buying gas to and from where we hunt.I have been trying to help me with this hunt,but as snapbang says,it is his hunt and idea to begin with.I have 3 months before we leave,so I am going to stay on his butt.

I've hunted there is a spot the next town over I can't remember the name....just Google it shouldn't be hard to find good luck on the hunt

There's something to be said for both ways.
I've camped out in a tent and have stayed in motels.
Camping can suck if the weather is nasty. If it's nice, there's nothing better. You can hunt right out the door in most cases.
At a motel, you can can chill at night. Watch TV, get a hot shower and be comfortable. But then you have to drive to hunt.
If you were home, you'd have to drive to your hunting spot anyway, so to me it's not a big deal to drive a half hour or so.
It all depends on what you want to do.

The reason I picked Pueblo is that are a lot of gmu's and blm that we can hunt with otc tags.From what information I have gathered it will only be about 20 minutes to drive to a few of these gmu's for public land.Tony thanks I will give it a look see near Pueblo for that town.deemanok,I did tell my brother that if I pick out some place to stay it is going to be as cheap as possible and as close to those gmu's as I can get.I was told that at that time of year the weather could turn bad at any time.Our season is Oct.28th-Nov 5th.So perhaps the elk will move down to the lower altitudes we are going to hunt.As I told my brother I am going out there to hunt,not on some luxury vacation.Up well before daylight and out after the dark falls at night.I will sleep when I am dead.

OTC tag? I'll go with you, and camp out! No, seriously, how about an RV rental? They won't be any cheaper than a motel, but you can start out in the morning right there.

Over the counter tags.Can buy them on line or pick one up when you get out there.My brother came over and we went out for breakfast and talked to him about a 10-12 foot pop up camper to take out with us.Toldhim we could park on public or blm land and go straight hunting from there.He kind of agreed and is going to start looking at some friends to see if he can borrow one.An inch at a time and I may be camping out where we hunt or awfully darn close.FedB,see you out there.ha ha

Over the counter tags.Can buy them on line or pick one up when you get out there.My brother came over and we went out for breakfast and talked to him about a 10-12 foot pop up camper to take out with us.Toldhim we could park on public or blm land and go straight hunting from there.He kind of agreed and is going to start looking at some friends to see if he can borrow one.An inch at a time and I may be camping out where we hunt or awfully darn close.FedB,see you out there.ha ha
Thats some progress in the right direction. Glad to hear it.

Have you thought about an AirBnB, Vrbo, or one of those other house/room rental services? You might find something really nice that’s very close to where you want to hunt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back