Powder flask

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, All
have a 1858 ASM and a 50 cal Hawken replica, just starting out muzzle loading. So powder flask question, have one for 2F and one for 3F, both 30gr spouts, but when pushing the button/ lever the powder continues to flow until button or lever is released. So unless I physically block the nozzle end, what does it matter the volume of the spout? Or am I missing something obvious?
No, not dumping from the flask directly into the barrel but dumping from the flask into a measure.
Thanks--

cover the end with your thumb and let go of the button then invert the horn and it will be full of powder

Yep. But likes to overfill. Seems like watching the videos a lot of powder ends up on the ground or bench as well. Thinking for the revolver, be nice to just dispense 30gr right into the cylinder. Have a couple cylinders, loading using a press.

That's what I've been doing, seems messy and who knows where my thumb has been?
Thanks
It is not messy if done correctly and the powder don't care where your thumb has been just make it simple its not complicated If you make a mess just continue on its not a big deal

Yep. But likes to overfill. Seems like watching the videos a lot of powder ends up on the ground or bench as well. Thinking for the revolver, be nice to just dispense 30gr right into the cylinder. Have a couple cylinders, loading using a press.
If you have the cylinder out of the gun its ok to fill all chambers with powder the wad or ball etc .Do it all in order makes it easy to keep everything correct

My flask w/ spring loaded spout is pretty consistent wtih what it dispenses using the "dry relatively clean finger on the spout" method, but as you note getting it from there to the cylinder hole can be challenging.

For my 1858 I use empty 223 cases to measure (just at 31gr by weight of 3F real black). And I use a diner-style ketchup squeeze bottle. Stick tip into case mouth and squeeze, fills right up and STOPS when the tip is hit. Pull it clear, a little shake to top things off, and dump into cylinder hole.

My flask w/ spring loaded spout is pretty consistent wtih what it dispenses using the "dry relatively clean finger on the spout" method, but as you note getting it from there to the cylinder hole can be challenging.

For my 1858 I use empty 223 cases to measure (just at 31gr by weight of 3F real black). And I use a diner-style ketchup squeeze bottle. Stick tip into case mouth and squeeze, fills right up and STOPS when the tip is hit. Pull it clear, a little shake to top things off, and dump into cylinder hole.
Real BP especially OE 3f is great on hot dogs too!/Ed

Also the idea is to cut the spout so as to pour out of the measure of BP you want to use for your particular gun. Then you put your finger or thumb over the tip, turn the powder horn over, open the valve and fill up the spout with powder. Then close the valve, turn the flask back over and pour the charge into whatever you are using to pour it into the gun barrel. Anyway setting up the spout to pour the charge you want saves you all of that extra thinking for loading the right powder charge out in the field or and the range.

Now with a revolver you ought to be able to pour the charge directly from the flask or powder horn as it isn’t as much of a risk with the cylinder on a revolver unlike the rifles etc. a lot of folks remove the cylinder to load it on a loading stand. But you can quickly swab and dry a revolver cylinder chambers too. But still pouring in the charge from another container is still a good way to go.

Latest posts

Back