Pre-Lubed Muzzleloader Originals Patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Back at it today!

70gr Pyrodex P, .490" round ball, .018" MO Pre-Lubed ( precision lube 2000 ) patches at 50 yards.

After shot <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> I had to run inside and grab my stainless steel range rod because my wood ramrod was unable to push it down. I grunted it down and took the shot. A terrible group, something I'd expect at 150 yards, not 50! The lube on the patches wasn't slippery at all on a fouled bore. In fact, in a clean bore I noted how much resistance there was. Not a good lube for keeping fouling soft and easing up the load when reloading.

The GOOD news, the patches finally held together!! These pre lubed patches are nice and soft and recovered, they were in perfect condition. Their dry .018" have the sizing left in them and hard very hard and brittle. These blew to piece and in some cases, I found them to be charred.

In the end.. I will be sticking with Bridgers Best, TC, Eastern Maine shooting supplies patches. The Muzzleloader Originals are by far the worst brand I have ever picked up and shot.

Next? Maybe I will try a wad and see if they hold up.
img_0116.jpg

Who makes the "Muzzleloader Original" patches? I am curious about what lube they use.
I have Bridger's Best and Eastern Maine pre-lubed patches.
Ron

precision lube 2000 are pinkish color and some others with a yellow color precision lube 2000 pre lubed patches.

Muzzleloader originals saw all the posts and stated that by the way the packaging looks, these are at least from 2010 which I find to be extreme odd.

The dry patches that i personally lubed did not hold up at all.  Never ran into an issue like this until I tried this brand, so who knows. Since when do dry patches have a expiration date?

Thank you for the response. I now know to avoid those lubes.
When I just started muzzle loading, I bought some of those pre-lubed patches and didn't know better.
Ron

I wonder what the fabric is they are using, how loose or tight the weave, 100% cotton or a possible mix, who made the fabric - USA or from another source?   

These were always issues and when we got started making patches for the boys at the Olympic Committee in Colo Springs - Broadmoor. We would get checked several times a year, their patches had to have one side with the nap and the other side clean - no nap for their rifles.

Latest posts

Back