Predator Hunting with a Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher451

Reaction score
Who all here is doing this?

What rifle, bullet/boolit, powder, sights, methods do you use, and under what conditions?

Ever get a double with a muzzleloader?

Would appreciate any stories shared, too.

I hunt coyotes with a .36 with prb. I hunt on state land, and the largest caliber allowed in a cartridge gun is a .22 long rifle rim fire.  For small game and varmints, a muzzle loader, 36 caliber max, with patched round ball is allowed.  Shotguns can only use  as a maximum shot size <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a>.  So you see, the .36 is my choice.  I have taken 4 coyotes in the last two years with the .36 with 35 grains of 3f.  Most of my shots are around 35-50 yds.  The cover is pretty thick so you don't usually see a coyote or fox much further away unless there is snow on the ground.  Check out my article in the latest Muzzle Blasts Magazine.

I don't hunt predators with a muzzleloader by choice but have shot a mangy coyote and a bobcat with a .50 cal. while deer hunting.
I never pass up a chance to kill a coyote.

Back