Preparing for my new 1-24 Twist .50 Cal RICE LR Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I Casted up some BIG Un’s Today, Preparing for my New 32” RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal MG Barrel, I should be getting it Soon, Like any day :lewis: I cast these of Certified 1-20 Alloy, I might try these of Pure Lead as well? But more than likely this 1-20 Alloy will be what i stick with for these, Especially since Target is my intention

These are Straight from the Mold, Keep Rate was AWESOME, I culled 2 Bullets in this Casting session, These Bullets ALL weigh within a 1/2 Grain of eachother, For Bullets over 600 Grains, I’ll take that anyday! :lewis: The Bigger the Bullet, the more difficult they are to Cast to perfection, Cull Rate goes up with Large, and Larger Bullets. I won’t keep Bullets that are more than 1 Grain out from the others, In short, i am PICKY With my Bullets.

I know how to Cast PURE Lead to Perfection, I could probably do it Blind Folded, As I’ve done it SO Much. But i have never been as good with Alloys as i am with Pure Lead. SO, I spent some QUALITY time today with my Certified 1-20 Alloy Lead Pot, BOUND & DETERMINED to Learn it as well as PURE Lead. I also reached out to a Good Friend of mine and picked his Brain for Tips/Tricks/advise on Casting 1-20 Alloy, This fella Casts THE NICEST Alloy Bullets i have seen, I mean PERFECTION, Mirrors of the Mold! I am HAPPY to say, I can do the EXACT same now :lewis:Thank you Partner, I know you see this.
Qp8FXoU.jpg

Both of these are Twists of other Designs
NowuV0Pm.jpg

1200 yards here we come !

:) I’m DEFINITELY gonna Swing at it!! I’ve got a lot of Work ahead of me with this new Rig, I have to get the New sight system setup on a Hawken Stock i have here (Sight setup should be here Tomorrow, or Friday) Once i get everything fitted up to my liking i will do some Short Range Testing to see what happens there first, Gather Chrono Data, Get Zeroed in, Etc. Then i can move out to 200 Yards, Where i will probably be Stuck through the Winter, til Spring, We will no doubt be Snowed in Soon. My new 1200 Yard Spot will be DEEP in Snow, Plus they Lock the Gate at the entrance til Spring. I got PLENTY of stuff to do til then :lewis:

Just like eating an elephant, it can be done as long as you know its one bite at a time not one big gulp.I guess that's why you started this thread with "Preparing".

Last edited:
you will love the 24 twist for conical , i loved mine but it was little light for 650 grain PP. I started with a 50-90 load 1.5 Swiss

So i just bought a white 98 elite hunter in 504, do I need to slug that gun to determine actual bore first, before buying my first mold. Which mold is that for the greased bullet.

I think he was trying to make sure that his 50 cals were the same as far as quality control and bore size? Others with way more knowledge than me may know the reasoning why Doc went .504 for his 50's.

I think he was trying to make sure that his 50 cals were the same as far as quality control and bore size? Others with way more knowledge than me may know the reasoning why Doc went .504 for his 50's.

It seems like i have read something about it? Probably on here? But i just can’t remember

Doc White said they received a batch of .50 cal barrels from the supplier that were oversized at .504" bore. I don't know if they didn't have enough leverage or finances to return the order as they were such a small company. Personally speaking, I think it was a mistake to introduce yet another non standard bore size to the already muddied waters of ML'er barrel spec's. Traditional ML'er round ball barrels aside, it has always baffled me why any inline manufacturer would deviate from established SAMMI centerfire .45 cal barrel spec's of .450" x .458" and .50 cal .500" x .510" for their barrels. Barrel making companies are already tooled up for such production. In my White M97 Ultra Mag .504" I use a .507" bullet straight from the Accurate mold 51-500T. I think the bore is at least .505" and maybe even .505" plus.

It has always baffled me why any inline manufacturer would deviate from established SAMMI centerfire .45 cal barrel spec's of .450" x .458" and .50 cal .500" x .510" for their barrels. Barrel making companies are already tooled up for such production.

This was precisely my thinking (Why deviate from SAMMI Specs of .500/.510 and go with .504?) Just makes for Confusion, I guess if you own a White you are Confused anyway 😁

Back