Pressure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'd look for flattened primer cups or cups that have begun to back out of the module. Maybe too if the primer cup was flowing out toward the firing pin.

That's what I look for but don't discount flame cutting on a breech plug too. If you're way over your pressure limits the results will be obvious. Its the little things that I pay close attention to. That's why I keep all of my spent primers in a block according to which the shot was. I also pick up my sabots. I suppose I could take a minute to pick those up in order as well and may start doing that. At this time of year I figure between 3 and 5 minutes between shots so it's not like I don't have enough time to go pick up each sabot as used. Soot tracing on the breech plug is another little tell but I do not pull the plug unless something pops up that I need to. I carry the appropriate drill bit for the flame channel to the range and when I am shooting to get ready for the season, I clean the flame channel every four shots or so when using BH. Smokeless [IMR4198] seems to not foul the flame channel as much for me.

I look at the sabots for pressure sign with bh209, but look at the primer for signs with smokeless. Ive found, in my Scout sml, that the LBCR sabots rip off the petals but the bases dont flare out like they do with bh209, while the primers will start flowing and bulging. Almost the opposite of bh209, skirts blowing before primers bulge.

I know how to read pressure signs with a CF/ cartridge rifle but how about a SML using primer modules?

Check the diameter of the primer pocket in the primer module. If you have excessive pressures the diameter of the primer pocket will increase, and the primers will not fit snuggly in the LRMP module. I found out the hard way.

Back