Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, a couple newbie questions. What is the difference between Winchester T7 and their shotshell 209 primers? Will either of these work for a CVA Optima using Hodgdon T7 or IMR Whitehots?

Also, what’s are the differences between Hodgdon T7 and BH209? Is Buckhorn just know to be cleaner/more-constant?

Links to Winchester primers in question.

T7:
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...s/winchester-t7-muzzleloader-primer/p/1182527

Shotshell 209:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900344145?pid=344145

You wouldn't want to use regular shot shell primers for either T7 or white hots.Use primers specifically for black powder and substitutes other than black horn (if you can stomach the price of BH). For BH I use Federal 209A's. BH residue is soft and you don't have to clean between shots. It also offers a little higher velocity. Black Horn is harder to clean and you need to use a solvent based cleaner such as Hoppes #9. One plus for T7 is it cleans up with hot soapy water.Hope this helps.

You wouldn't want to use regular shot shell primers for either T7 or white hots.Use primers specifically for black powder and substitutes other than black horn (if you can stomach the price of BH). For BH I use Federal 209A's. BH residue is soft and you don't have to clean between shots. It also offers a little higher velocity. Black Horn is harder to clean and you need to use a solvent based cleaner such as Hoppes #9. One plus for T7 is it cleans up with hot soapy water.Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. Help me understand; why would I not want to use regular shotshell primers with T7 or Whitehots?
What primers would you recommend for these powder pellets?
What podwer if any would be good to use with the shotshell primers?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Help me understand; why would I not want to use regular shotshell primers with T7 or Whitehots?
What primers would you recommend for these powder pellets?
What power if any would be good to use with the shotshell primers?

You'll want to use the muzzleloader specific primers because these powders/pellets when ignited with standard reloading primers cause a "crud" ring in the barrel just ahead of where the powder charge sat. Loading a second or third shot can be very hard, if not impossible. The reloading primers are much hotter and are the cause of this crud ring. Muzzleloader specific primers, being a cooler ignition, are supposed to minimize this issue, but you'll likely still see it when using T7 anything.

It only took a few patches to clean BH209 when I used it. One damp patch with Butch"s and tthen a couple of dry patches then a patch with oil. Done.

It only took a few patches to clean BH209 when I used it. One damp patch with Butch"s and tthen a couple of dry patches then a patch with oil. Done.
Maybe it depends on what you call clean. I Patch the bore until patches come out as clean as they were when I put them in. I also use butchs and wouldn't use anything else. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Maybe it depends on what you call clean. I Patch the bore until patches come out as clean as they were when I put them in. I also use butchs and wouldn't use anything else. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I didn't run a bore scope through it to check it. I call clean it when I take a flashlight, look down bore, and it bright and shiny. I would rather wear the barrel out shooting it than cleaning it.....lol.....
I do a deep cleaning every year maybe more if I shoot alot.

I do a deep cleaning every year maybe more if I shoot alot.

This is how I do it as well, immediately after the hunting season wraps up. Never had an issue. Twice a year all of my guns get a rub down with WD-40's Corrosion Preventative whether they've been shot or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back