Probably settled on my hog loads...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
No new powder OR bullets... My blue/composite 10ML-II really likes the combination of 42gr SR-4759/300gr Bonded Shockwave...It'll shoot this right around an inch or just a little over most of the time. Velocity is 2086fps. The last three groups I have shot with this have been 1.2, 1.2, 1.2, and 1.1. That averages out to about 1.2 inches! Certainly good enough for anything I'll ever do:

2006rangepics%20049.jpg

My 10ML-II laminate still likes the simple load of 42gr N-110/250gr Bonded Shockwave. It'll shoot this combo into between 1.0 and 1.5 inches MOST of the time! This is the fastest 10ML-II have ever owned too...2336fps for this load... This group SHOULD read 1.25 inches and not 1.15! Oh well!

2006rangepics%20045.jpg

Best group of the day was turned in by the ULA .50, no surprise! What WAS the surprise was what it was shooting! Try a 300gr Bonded Shockwave and 40gr SR-4759! Yesterday was the first time I had EVER shot a 300gr bullet in this gun! Same for the SR-4759! I just picked both up because they were handy! Velocity was 2113fps.. That's faster than a 10ML-II will do with 42gr!

2006rangepics%20052.jpg

The composite Savage shoots really good big6x6. 8) I think i will get a camo one for mine sometime this year. You have all three guns right were you want them. How about Kristels Savage? Is it ready for Crossville? BTW very nice shootin. :wink:

Nice shootin' Chuck. With posting targets like that it sure won't be easy to blame a miss on the gun :wink:

With posting targets like that it sure won't be easy to blame a miss on the gun

...and keep my fingers crossed! You know those hogs are pretty twitchy critters! They are NEVER still! ...yeah I'm all ready making excuses! :lol:

How about Kristels Savage? Is it ready for Crossville?

Not gonna change anything but use a 250gr BONDED Shockwave for regular grade Shockwave. May up the powder charge 2gr as well.

Chuck,
I have found that the lower(at least historically lower) loads of 250g bullet loads such as 42g of either VV-110 or 4759, and 34g 2400 often
shoot even better with the 300g bullets.
For what its worth, after 5 years of shooting almost exclusively 250g bullets in the Sav, I have gone to 300g bullets in both the SMI and Sav. 200-300yd shooting always seems to be better with the 300g bullets, especially if the wind is a factor.

250gr Bonded Shockwave w/41.5gr vv-110....best I have been doing is just over an inch as well..

shockwave.jpg

Nice shootin Chuck. You guys are going to have a great time. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end results of the the bonded shockwaves.

Do you think they are really bonded? Seems like i saw a cross section of bullets you had and some of the bullets were suspect at best. when i get a box of them I will see about getting one milled. I have a couple of others I'm interested in seeing a cross section of.

What sabots are you using with the bonded Shockwaves? The supplied sabot or are you replacing it with a HPH12 or HPH24?

Hey Chuck, great work...So how was the NULA's recoil with that load? When it warms up a bit I'm going to work up a load with LBT's in my HB and NEF/SMI and see what it will do on a hog.
325gn .458
325458.jpg

325gn .430
44-325-LFNSS.jpg

355gn .452
45LC-355-WLNGC.jpg

SO did you have a chance to shoot any LBT's yet?

IAhunter said:
What sabots are you using with the bonded Shockwaves? The supplied sabot or are you replacing it with a HPH12 or HPH24?

I had been using the HPH-24s up until Sunday. Tried the Harvester SS...It did just as well but no better than the HPH-24

So how was the NULA's recoil with that load?

I really couldn't tell much difference between the 300gr/4759 load and the 250gr/N110 load...

SO did you have a chance to shoot any LBT's yet?

No BUT...they are NEXT in line! :D

Back