Shooting with the new breechplug...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I got in some new breechplugs last week...these use a "bushing" in the place of a ventliner. The flame channel is also shortened as the breechplug has also been recessed where the powder comes into contact with the breechplug flashhole. These type plugs are old news to some and while I have HAVE tried a recessed plug using a ventliner(little good to say about it!), this is my first try using plug with a bushing.

IMG_0244.JPG

Breechplug in standard configuration on left, bushing plug on right. You know the 10ML-II breechplug is an ODD looking creature!

IMG_0247.JPG

Power end of breechplugs. OEM removable ventliner-style breechplug on left and bushing plug on right.

IMG_0248.JPG

Primer end of breechplugs

After trying a recessed/ventliner plug OVER and OVER and never getting the same accuracy that I can get with a OEM-styled plug I'll admit I was apprehensive with the new bushing plug. ALL I did last night before going to the range was screw OUT the old plug and screw IN the new one. Nothing more.

This morning I didn't even pop off a primer I just loaded up with 42gr SR-4759/250gr SST/Harvester sabot. Loading and shooting just as fast as I could the first three shots went into 1.17 inches. Next group was shot with the same components except I used 40gr N-110... 1.30 inches. The final group was shot again using the same components except using 44gr SR-4759 which yielded a 0.78 inch group.

IMG_0243.JPG

OVERALL I am VERY please with the accuracy when using this new breechplug. Accuracy seems to be as good or better than with the OEM-styled plug. Also workmanship appears to be EXCELLENT.

Nice report and excellent shooting. I think where the recessed plug will help you is when the temps get much colder and you will get easier ignition. You might also find a little more velocity over a OEM plug, about in the 50 fps range.

I usually have to adjust charge weights a little when switching from the OEM plug to a modified version. For instance, my first modified plug shot 2300fps with 42gr of N110 wheras the OEM needed 43gr to reach that velocity. Slower powders seem to pick up more velocity than the fast burners. I'm still not comfortable saying this but I believe the modified plugs are a little more accurate, at least at 200yds in my gun they seem to be.
As always, good shooting.

Back