Problems extracting primer from Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the range today working on my load for my Optima V2, 100 grains (v), 2FG, CCI 209 primer. After the first shot, the breech plug face got very dirty {I'd forgotten the o-rings that @michiganmuzzy sent me!}. That primer, and all subsequent ones were extremely hard to remove...essentially had to be pried out of the primer pocket. It got to the place that I was even spitting on the primer before placing it in the pocket in the hopes that would ease extraction. Any tips- other than the o-ring which I will make sure to have on my next time?

Clean that plug and gun now and don't forget to put an o-ring in there and check to make sure the rifle will cock by putting a primer in and cocking the gun. If it locks locked, pop the primer out and you're good to go the next time out. If the hammer doesn't want to lock cocked, try snapping the gun closed with some authority with the primer in place. Then try cocking it again.

If after the ring is in place and primers still want to be a bear, just re-cock and fire on the spent primer and it should come right out now. You'll likely notice little soot behind the plug with the o-ring in place.

Clean that plug and gun now and don't forget to put an o-ring in there and check to make sure the rifle will cock by putting a primer in and cocking the gun. If it locks locked, pop the primer out and you're good to go the next time out. If the hammer doesn't want to lock cocked, try snapping the gun closed with some authority with the primer in place. Then try cocking it again.

If after the ring is in place and primers still want to be a bear, just re-cock and fire on the spent primer and it should come right out now. You'll likely notice little soot behind the plug with the o-ring in place.
Gun and plug are sparkly clean...done already the minute I got home. Striking on the spent primer was not an idea I had heard of.

I had an aftermarket breechplug that was way too loose in the primer pocket, it fouled quickly and primers were hard to remove. The rifle came with a new factory breech plug and it works just fine.

I had a couple plugs that i used a piece of steel wool, chucked in a cordless drill, to polish inside the primer pocket. Just to shine it up hoping it helped make the primers easier to remove. It seemed to help a little. I think shorter primers helped, too. Like they didn’t swell as much. And then i backed the charge down 5grains and that helped a little. Just a few things you could try, see if any make a bigger dif.

CVA BP Rifle primer blowback problem.

IMO, when the primer is fired there is a lot of resistance or back pressure on the primer ignited hot gas caused by the small size of the fire/flame hole, .028” to .033”. This resistance/pressure means that it is imperative that the primer is sealed into the primer pocket to prevent the hot gas from escaping back around the primer and exciting to the rear, blowback. This blowback can foul the firing pin assembly in addition to the fact that it is wasted hot gas that is intended to ignite the powder charge. The sealing of the primer is also made more difficult because all primers are NOT the same length. If the fired primer has black carbon/soot on the sides of the primer than this is an indication of the blowback problem. I have found, from recommendations on BP forums, that using the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket that the blowback problem is solved for whichever primer I am using. The O-Ring will last for 10/20 shots and you get 100 O-Rings for about $5. This is the site for the O-Ring.
McMaster-Carr
This O-Ring can be seated into the base of the primer pocket using a primer to push the O-Ring in. When loading the primer into the BP rifle, point the open action down while inserting the primer and then close the action with a firm snap. Also check that the firing pin bushing is flush with the face of the receiver with no indentation or protrusion. This will insure that the action will open/close without any problems.

Fired and unfired primer.

1nzsdUrl.jpg

This blowback can foul the firing pin assembly in addition to the fact that it is wasted hot gas that is intended to ignite the powder charge.
I would just add to this that I believe the vast majority of the blowback is from the main powder charge pressure flowing back through the flash hole and flame channel.

Back