Projectile suggestions wanted for a 1:32" in-line rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nummy

Reaction score
Hello everyone –

I’m new to this forum, and I already have a request for your opinions and suggestions.

I’m fortunate to own two, 50 caliber muzzle loaders - I successfully use Pyrodex powder in both guns, and they both use #11 caps. Over the years, this has helped to keep everything nice and simple – and I have never experienced a misfire !

I have been successfully using the 350-grain Thompson Center “Max-Hunter” in my Thompson Center Hawken rifle for years - but due to poor-planning, I have a decision to make regarding what projectiles to use in my 50 caliber Traditions Arms Buck Hunter in-line rifle.

A little background here: When I purchased my Traditions Arms in-line rifle several years ago, it came with three packages of all-lead bullets – 60 total. The gun was incredibly accurate using 100 grains of Pyrodex with those basic lead bullets – I was consistently shooting 2 inches high at 50 yards, and dead on at 100 yards.

I continued to use those bullets over the years, and shot several deer at 100 yards. Unfortunately, the original packaging those bullets came in was tossed-out, and I don’t know the exact brand or weight of those bullets. Now for the bad news; I ran out of those bullets last weekend, and I neglected to get the remaining bullet weighed. Now I have to start-over with a new projectile in my in-line, and go through the entire process of shooting, documenting, field cleaning, and re-shooting.

I should mention here that I want to continue using the #11 caps and Pyrodex powder because I have a lot of it.
(a lot of it) Years ago, I purchased all the remaining stock from a gun shop that was getting out of the muzzle loader business – I have several large bottles of Pyrodex, and several hundred #11 caps. I have never had a misfire in either of my guns using this combination, and I want to continue this arrangement in the future.

So here’s my question; because I have to completely start-over with my in-line in regard to sighting it in, should I consider a sabot, a Power Belt, or a conical bullet, or the Maxi-Hunter from Thompson Center?

Unfortunately, it appears that “Maxi-Hunters” are not available in anything less than 350 grain, and I’m not sure if a 350-grain Maxi-Hunter can be used in my 1:32” twist in-line. It would be great if I could merely use the 350-grain “Maxi-Hunter” in both guns, but I have been told that my particular in-line is somewhat of an orphan – a 1:32” twist being too fast for a heavy 350-grain Maxi-Hunter, and not quite fast enough for a sabot or Power Belt.

I would like to hear from anyone who has an in-line similar to mine, and what they have successfully used for a projectile.
Does anyone use the 350-grain “Maxi-Hunter” conical bullet in their 1:32” twist in-line?

Because both of my rifles are set-up for #11 caps, and because of my desire to use-up my inventory of #11 caps and Pyrodex, I realize that this will determine what road I go down.

I’ve heard stories about certain propellants needing a 209 primer for ignition, and about loose Pyrodex powder rolling out of the barrel when using sabots, and Power Belts not flying properly out of a 1:32” twist barrel. What is your experience?
Are “Maxi-Hunters” still being produced? If they are still being produced, are they available in 300 or 320 grain?
(I should mention here that I have no desire to cast my own bullets)

I did find 320-grain “Maxi-BALLS” for sale, but only in a few locations, and the Maxi-BALL isn’t highly recommended for deer hunting.

If Maxi-Hunters are being phased-out, I really don’t want to go through the whole “sight-in-and-set-up” thing using Maxi-Hunters because I will just have to start over again, if /when they become unavailable.

It would be great to merely use the same 350-grain bullets in both of my guns, but the 350-grain Maxi-Hunter is kinda’ heavy, and typically used in a slower twist barrel like a T/C Hawken rifle.

Is anyone out there successfully using a T/C “Maxi-Hunter” in a 1:32” twist in-line rifle? If there is, are you having a problem finding Maxi-Hunters? (are 300 or 320 Maxi-Hunters available anywhere?)

Or, what type of Power Belt, or brand of sabot, have you successfully been using for deer hunting in your 1:32” twist barrel in-line rifles?

WOW - sorry for the long write-up !

Thanks in advance for your help -

nummy

You might try the NoExcuse 460 gr. conical in your BuckHunter. They shot well in mine before switching barrels. I also had good success with 240 & 300 gr.XTP's with green/black MMP sabots respectively. BuckDoeHunter has one and I'm sure he has some good recommendations.

Nothing wrong with Pyrodex Powder and #11 caps, I use them in some rifles too. The powder that you refer to that needs the 209 primer is Blackhorn 209.

While I have not shot the Maxi-Hunter don't really see why you can't shoot them in that 1-32 rifle. Lot of TC side locks had a 1 48 twist and shot conicals too.

As for Lighter Maxi-Hunters, Cheaper than Dirt shows 275, 320, 350, and 370grain Maxi-Hunters.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductL ... catid=1480
If you want to try sabots look at the Hornady XTP in .452 diameter (45caliber) with 50 cal sabots (Black) or even the .429 diameter (44 caliber) I 50 cal sabots (Green) in 240 to 300 grain. they would work well with your Pyrodex Powder and #11 caps.

The 1 in 32 twist is absolutely not too fast for a maxi hunter or other heavier lead conicals. Here is a close to 500 grain conical shot out of a 1 in 32 twist mk 85. Perfect mushrooming, weight retention and accuracy. What more can you ask for? The only question I might have is the traditions well enough built to handle the heavy conicals. Your maxi hunters should shoot fine out of there I would think.
P5300133_zps9d0f974c.jpg

flounder said:
The only question I might have is the traditions well enough built to handle the heavy conicals.

The Buckhunter reminds me of a G-Series knockoff in it's construction. Very similar breech/action design. Even has a removable barrel. BTW - that is a purty boolit there.

flounder said:
The 1 in 32 twist is absolutely not too fast for a maxi hunter or other heavier lead conicals. Here is a close to 500 grain conical shot out of a 1 in 32 twist mk 85. Perfect mushrooming, weight retention and accuracy. What more can you ask for? The only question I might have is the traditions well enough built to handle the heavy conicals. Your maxi hunters should shoot fine out of there I would think.
P5300133_zps9d0f974c.jpg

WOW - that's quite a mushroom ya got there ! ! ! !

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "mk 85" refer to?

What distance was that that 500 grain conical bullet was shot from, and what material the target was made from?

Also, what was the brand of propellant, and how much was used?

nummy

ShawnT said:
Nothing wrong with Pyrodex Powder and #11 caps, I use them in some rifles too. The powder that you refer to that needs the 209 primer is Blackhorn 209.

While I have not shot the Maxi-Hunter don't really see why you can't shoot them in that 1-32 rifle. Lot of TC side locks had a 1 48 twist and shot conicals too.

As for Lighter Maxi-Hunters, Cheaper than Dirt shows 275, 320, 350, and 370grain Maxi-Hunters.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductL ... catid=1480
If you want to try sabots look at the Hornady XTP in .452 diameter (45caliber) with 50 cal sabots (Black) or even the .429 diameter (44 caliber) I 50 cal sabots (Green) in 240 to 300 grain. they would work well with your Pyrodex Powder and #11 caps.

Yup, my T/C is a 48 twist, and I have successfully used the 350 grain Maxi-Hunter conical bullet in it for deer hunting.

I looked on the Cheaper Than Dirt website for a 320 grain Maxi Hunter conical (which would be the mid-point) but all I found is a 320 grain Maxi-BALL, which I'm told isn't the best choice for deer hunting. Actually, I wasn't able to locate a 320 grain Maxi Hunter bullet anywhere on the internet. Are they even available anymore?

One of the questions I have is if I can use that same 350 grain Maxi Hunter conical bullet in my 32 twist Traditions Arms in-line Buck Hunter rifle. (and what is the maximum amount of Pyrodex I can safely use to successfully shoot a 350 grain Maxi Hunter)

I was hoping there was someone out there who owns the same make and model as my 1:32" twist in-line.....someone who has already done a little "experimenting" with different projectiles and propellants.

Thanks for the reply !

nummy

Oops, your right I mis-read that one. :oops:

Not sure about the powder charge but I would say between 70 and 80 grains would be plenty. Someone will chime in that shoots more conicals. Sometimes it gets slow near the weekends when guys are hunting.

By the way the MK-85 is a Knight Plunger rifle.

I could be wrong on the history, however I believe the 1:48 was created as a compromise between the faster 1:32 and the slower 1:66. This way one gun could shoot both patched round ball and all lead conicals. There once was a company called White Rifles and the man that started the company made rifles to shoot only big heavy lead conicals. I think from the info I have picked up on here his twist rates were 1:24, 1:22 and 1:20. I reality you should be able to use sabots in that rifle. What I'm trying to say is you don't need a slow 1:48 twist to shoot those maxi hunters, if you have a good supply of them then try them in your Traditions. Start with Shawn's suggestion of 70 to 80 gr. of powder and work your way up I would say a 100 gr. max but I don't know your rifle's max charge.

Hornet22savage said:
I could be wrong on the history, however I believe the 1:48 was created as a compromise between the faster 1:32 and the slower 1:66. This way one gun could shoot both patched round ball and all lead conicals. There once was a company called White Rifles and the man that started the company made rifles to shoot only big heavy lead conicals. I think from the info I have picked up on here his twist rates were 1:24, 1:22 and 1:20. I reality you should be able to use sabots in that rifle. What I'm trying to say is you don't need a slow 1:48 twist to shoot those maxi hunters, if you have a good supply of them then try them in your Traditions. Start with Shawn's suggestion of 70 to 80 gr. of powder and work your way up I would say a 100 gr. max but I don't know your rifle's max charge.

I only have 9 Maxi-Hunter conical bullets left in the 350-grain weight, which I successfully use in my 50 caliber T/C Hawken with 90 grains of Pyrodex, and the #11 cap.

For simplicity reasons, it would be great to also use the 350-grain Maxi-Hunter in my 1:32" twist Traditions Arms Buck Hunter in-line rifle....but I was told that to push a 350 grain bullet out to 100 yards in my in-line would require much more powder than I have been comfortably using in the past for deer hunting.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum has experience shooting the Max-Hunter from their Traditions Arms 1:32" Buck Hunter rifle, and is willing to share their results.....

It would be great if the Maxi-Hunter was available in a mid-weight 300 or 320 grain weight, but from what I can determine, it seems they're only available in 270 grain (too light?)......or 350 grain (too heavy?)

Unfortunately, it appears that Thompson Center only offers the 300 or 320 grain size in Max-BALLS, which are not ideal for deer hunting, due to expansion concerns.

......which is the reason I'm open to all suggestions regarding what direction to go with my seemingly odd 1:32" twist muzzle-loader. As long as I'm starting-out with a clean slate here in regard to choosing a weight, brand, and type of projectile, I'm open to all suggestions.

Things would have been so much easier for me if I would have just wrote down the brand and weight of those original 60 lead bullets that came with the gun when I purchased it - or to at least have taken the time to weigh the remaining bullet so I knew how heavy it was ! ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time to reply !

nummy

Hornet22savage said:

I only have 9 Maxi-Hunter conical bullets left in the 350-grain weight, which I successfully use in my 50 caliber T/C Hawken with 90 grains of Pyrodex, and the #11 cap.

For simplicity reasons, it would be great to also use the 350-grain Maxi-Hunter in my 1:32" twist Traditions Arms Buck Hunter in-line rifle....but I was told that to push a 350 grain bullet out to 100 yards in my in-line would require much more powder than I have been comfortably using in the past for deer hunting.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum has experience shooting the Max-Hunter from their Traditions Arms 1:32" Buck Hunter rifle, and is willing to share their results.....

It would be great if the Maxi-Hunter was available in a mid-weight 300 or 320 grain weight, but from what I can determine, it seems they're only available in 270 grain (too light?)......or 350 grain (too heavy?)

Unfortunately, it appears that Thompson Center only offers the 300 or 320 grain size in Max-BALLS, which are not ideal for deer hunting, due to expansion concerns.

......which is the reason I'm open to all suggestions regarding what direction to go with my seemingly odd 1:32" twist muzzle-loader. As long as I'm starting-out with a clean slate here in regard to choosing a weight, brand, and type of projectile, I'm open to all suggestions.

Things would have been so much easier for me if I would have just wrote down the brand and weight of those original 60 lead bullets that came with the gun when I purchased it - or to at least have taken the time to weigh the remaining bullet so I knew how heavy it was ! ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time to reply !

nummy

90gr will certainly shoot 100yd with those 350's.

I would say you should have no problem using the same bullet. I've never owned a 1:32, but my 1:28's and 1:48's have shot conicals well, no reason a 1:32 shouldn't. Get another box of em and go shoot it. If its not to your liking, then you can try other bullets and save those for your Hawken. :D

Were the lead bullets that originally came with the rifle a conical or a sabot bullet?

I really can't imagine why someone would tell you that you can't shoot that 350 grain conical from your rifle, or that you need heavy charges to do so. There are a lot of conicals shot from the 48 twist as (you know) but just as many here shooting them in 28 twist Knights and others, all the way down to a 20 twist. IF it were me I would load them up and shoot them if you like that bullet. There are a lot of guys here shooting conicals from whites and Knights that only shoot 60 to 80 grains pr black, Pyrodex, or 777 and are shooting heavier bullets such as the 460, 480 and more.

I don't think the Traditions rifles are real popular on this board but I do think there are a few. Hopefully they will so chime in.

90 gr. of powder behind a 350 gr. bullet is going to pack a punch and as it has been noted that 100 yds. is not at all out of the question. If you are looking to start from scratch as you say then. I would go to mmpsabots.com Purchase a couple bags of the HPH-12 and the HPH-24, these are for bullets in the .451-.452. The 12's are thicker than the 24's I do not know the exact size of your barrel so options are good. Next look for some Hornady XTP's either in 250 or 300 gr. Start out at 80 gr. of Pyrodex and work up to 100-110 gr. If the HPH-12 loads hard then use the HPH-24. If wanting to stay with a full bore option would be the Hornady FPB they make them in 300 and 350 gr.

Here is a post I did a few months ago about my BuckHunter and a hunting load I would use
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25677

I've never shot conicals out of mine but want to in the future.

I've never experienced loose powder getting by the sabot and have never read a post about it happening.

I shot 245gr powerbelts with 100gr of Pyrodex pellets out of the BH with good results on paper and one terrible result in the field so I will never use them again.

Please post your results with whatever bullet combo you try.

Latest posts

Back