Pulling breech plug for cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkinde

Reaction score
I was recently told from a member of another black powder forum that I didn't have to pull my breech plug when cleaning. I always thought that for a complete cleaning it was necessary. Am I wrong?

Elkinde....

For a complete cleaning of your muzzle loader you must always pull the breach plug. This is recommended for all short and long term storage.

During hunting season some guys get by with just a barrel cleaning---you know for day to day hunting over the short haul. I personally clean my MZ ASAP after firing. The exception being if I'm hunting....then maybe just a barrel cleaning.

Lets be clear....If you have a side lock or flint lock, in most cases, the breach is something you don't mess with. Cleaning is usually done from the muzzle.

Thanks Spitpatch. I thought I was on the right track. I do shoot a Hawken and know about the breech plug on that gun. I enjoy shooting both weapons. Don't think I'll ever hang up the sidelock. It has that nastalgic appeal that makes you dream about what it was like back in the Settlers day.

Back