Load developement questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentstalker

Reaction score
When “cleaning between every shot” during load development what is your process? Do any of you remove the breech plug?

I shoot BH 209 and also Pyrodex RS depending on the day.

I have read on here some using pyrodex use a spit patch once per side followed by a dry patch once per side (from the muzzle) Anything work better or equal to spit?

Would the same work for BH 209 except using solvent on the wet patch instead of spit?

No matter what powder I shoot I toss a patch in my mouth and get it damp. Run it down the barrel once or twice, flip it over and do it again. Then take a dry patch and run it down the barrel once or twice, flip and do it again. Do not remove the breech plug. At least I dont.

Im sure you could use other solutions to replace the spit. windex, windshield washer, water?????? Just use a damp patch. Too wet and it will leave enough moisture to get the powder for the next load wet.

When “cleaning between every shot” during load development what is your process? Do any of you remove the breech plug?

I have read on here some using pyrodex use a spit patch once per side followed by a dry patch once per side (from the muzzle) Anything work better or equal to spit?

Would the same work for BH 209 except using solvent on the wet patch instead of spit?
Don't remove the plug. It's not necessary until you completely clean.

For substitutes, excluding BH209, Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine works wonders. A .... slightly ..... damp patch both sides, one dry patch. Works much better than spit. :)

For BH209, DO NOT USE WATER. Some use Windex, competitors use a 50/50 combination of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol, on a slightly damp patch followed by a dry.

Yeah, no need to remove the plug when swabbing.

With the dirty powders, you’re just looking for bore consistency, so spit patching works great. So does a damp “solvent” patch like windex. I rarely swab between Bh209 shots. It’s unnecessary in a hunting rifle.

I go the other way. I remove the breach plug every shot. It comes out so easy, qrbp. Allows me to push from the breach to out the muzzle. Also allows me to run no lube or grease on the plug to contaminate the powder and patches. On warm days also allows some assistance in cooling imo. I use alot of compressed air cans to dry and cool the barrel as well spraying from the breach out again.

Thank you. I will start using the damp patch followed by a dry patch.

Follow up question regarding my last range session.

My load development session was at 50 yards with my CVA Accura MR with a red dot 1x scope. Pin point aiming is difficult at best.

I shot 3 shot groups with multiple bullets using both BH209 and then Pyrodex RS. I noticed a pattern throughout the session. The 240 gr xtp with green sabots shot higher on impact than all the 300 gr bullets as expected but the impact points were a similar match.

Looking at these targets you can see the pattern. It’s basically a group that flows left to right and slightly down. It could all be random but after 5-6 3 shot groups I recognize some kind of a pattern. In all but 1 test the 2 shots touching or closest were my first to shots. The third shot was the flyer. I only cleaned between 3 shot groups with the pyrodex.

The loads were 70 gr by weight of BH 209 and 100 gr volume of pyrodex. Bullets were 240 gr xtp, 300 gr xtp, 300 scorpion PT gold, and 300 gr SST.

I was surprised by how similar they shot.

Anything to be learned by the possible “pattern” or should I just pick one and go with it as they all shot pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
No matter what powder I shoot I toss a patch in my mouth and get it damp. Run it down the barrel once or twice, flip it over and do it again. Then take a dry patch and run it down the barrel once or twice, flip and do it again. Do not remove the breech plug. At least I dont.

Im sure you could use other solutions to replace the spit. windex, windshield washer, water?????? Just use a damp patch. Too wet and it will leave enough moisture to get the powder for the next load wet.
I bet that left a bad taste in your mouth!!!!.....lol.....

When I shot BH209, I never stabbed between shots. I cleaned when I got home. I would take out the breech plug and soak in Butch's bore shine. Run a couple of patches down the barrel with Butch"s then a few dry patches. I would then clean the breech plug. Light coat of oil in barrel and breech plug. Store separate. Before next range session or hunting clean both with alcohol. Pop 2 primers on a clean barrel, she was ready to kill paper or deer.

Anything to be learned by the possible “pattern” or should I just pick one and go with it as they all shot pretty well.
Keep in mind this is coming from a pistol instructor, so grain of salt required. First off, the groups all look good, I don't think you can go too wrong with any of them. As for placement of the groups, one of two things comes to mind. They all seem go center to the left. So 1) your scope may need slight adjustment, but imo, more likely is 2) next time out, really focus on your trigger pull, slow and smooth, straight back into the gun, and let the bang surprise you. Your left drift might just be torque from the trigger pull. I'd start there before any scope adjustments.

Otherwise, nice work, and happy tinkering!

Do not use spit for BH 209. Water gums it up. So use something else listed but not spit. For all other powders, I have used actual spit. Works well. With every powder except BH 209 I swab between each shot. With BH 209, it’s rare I swab at all for an entire shooting session. Not necessary for loading bullets or accuracy in my hunting guns. But I have never shot at anything further than 150 yards.

If I had to remove the breech plug between each shot, I would give up muzzleloading. To each his own. But it’s absolutely not necessary.

Your accuracy looks good

Last edited:
Back