Question about 45 cal muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
52Bore said:
tpcollins said:
Is the .45 caliber ML just a novelly or are they actually a fast, flat shooter? The bullets seem to run around 190-200 grains and should be able to get pushed well above 2000 fps. Thanks.
The trajectory gain is minimal and the energy is starting to drop like a rock.
This might help see the distances these loads are dropping with a 100 yd zero. The 200gr example was at 2200fps.
Traj excel.jpg
You may have to double-click on the photo to see it clearer.

Heavier bullets are superior in the wind and long range . I think the average Hunters shots are inside 150 yards . I'm just guessing but I think the appeal to the .45s with lighter bullets have less recoil ?

Had a guy last weekend shooting 90 grains by volume with a 200 grain SST (.40 CAL bullet out of a .45 ) it took him 8 MOA to get to 200 yards . That's 16 inches drop . I think 90 grains by volume is about 68 grains by weight

I was shooting 84 grains by weight with a .45 cal 300 grain bullet . Now I had possibly a little more speed but my BC on my 300 grain bullet would be close to the same as the 200 grain .40 cal bullet . It took me 3 MOA to get to 200 yards . That's 6 inches .

Rick is spot on . The heavier bullet will almost always out preform the lighter bullets at longer ranges at the velocities we shoot with Black powder and Black powder subs . It really does not even take that much distance for the heavier bullet to catch up. Rick and I have talked on this subject . I personally think 300 to 400 grain bullets at 2000 to 2200 fps is the sweet spot for Blackhorn 209 loads . Then 500 to 550 grain bullets at 1200 to 1300 fps is another sweet spot . But there again the 500 grain bullet will kill the 300 grain bullet at extreme ranges.

BUT .... Some hunters like light hunting guns with light recoil . That's where your light bullets at close range work and work well . You just need to know your limitations .

Back