Question about Badgerridge 700ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I installed my BR kit today to my 700ML. When all was said and done I didn't have to file down the firing pin like I would have to according to the instructions. Typically the firing pin would be too long purposefully. I believe what happened is I didn't fully seat the firing pin in the threads before drilling the hole for the crosspin. I measured and checked the firing pin before I installed the bolt into the gun and it's pretty much close to perfect on measurements. (Sheer luck) I don't think it would be a problem. Loaded up about 5 different primers, had a good strikes. No rupturing, good strikes on all 5. I'm attaching a picture of the firing pin protruding and wondering if anyone else has had this happen and should it be safe to use as is? Thanks guys sorry for long write up.

Attachments

• PXL_20221112_023115914.jpg
    PXL_20221112_023115914.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
From the picture, that looks a little long, looks over 50 thousands. Did you mic how far it protrudes past the primer face? If too long it may puncture the primer with heavy loads.

From the picture, that looks a little long, looks over 50 thousands. Did you mic how far it protrudes past the primer face? If too long it may puncture the primer with heavy loads.
Says anywhere from .050-.060 according to his measurements, I will remeasure and see what I come up with

I agree. It looks too long. 0.050"-0.060" is the correct dimension. You need to take 2 dimensions and do the subtraction to get the correct firing pin protrusion. If you have the headspace set for 0.002"-0.004" of Primer crush, you can get away with less firing pin protrusion if you happen to remove too much material. You don't want to pierce the Primer as you will get flame cutting on the firing pin.

Remeasured multiple times and doing the math it's currently at .07". So I need to file off just a hair. After that is done and correct length do you guys think it will be fine to shoot? Everything is held good. Crosspin went in and obviously held the firing pin good. Obviously got most of the threads when putting it. In, after the firing pin is correct length I should be in the clear?

You should be good to go once you get the firing pin protrusion set correctly.

How many threads of engagement do you have in the Cocking Piece? I have always had to clean up the threads in the Cocking Piece to get the Firing Pin to fully thread into it.

You should be good to go once you get the firing pin protrusion set correctly.

How many threads of engagement do you have in the Cocking Piece? I have always had to clean up the threads in the Cocking Piece to get the Firing Pin to fully thread into it.
I have filed down and per my measurements. I'm right on 0.06"

Glad you reached out to me directly.

Always recommend if customers aren't sure to take it to a gunsmith or send it to me for a checkout. Typically only charge return shipping... Think that is worth the peace of mind.

Yours

Tom

Glad you reached out to me directly.

Always recommend if customers aren't sure to take it to a gunsmith or send it to me for a checkout. Typically only charge return shipping... Think that is worth the peace of mind.

Yours

Tom
Did some filing and plenty of measuring. Getting good feeds and these are my last 3 primer strikes.

Attachments

• PXL_20221112_161922391.jpg
    PXL_20221112_161922391.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Went and shot it my dad had just a little blackhorn 209 left enough to line it up. Shot effortlessly using Winchester 209 primers. My last shot at 100. Too close to move the scope for me. Gonna put it up. Pics of last shot at 100yards below. Too close for me to touch and move scope again. Really love that Badgerridge kit, it is something else! Makes the 700ML shoot like it should.

Last edited:
I've got to brag on Tom and his system. I upgraded my original Rem 700 to his bolt/breech system and it's the best! Dropped mine in a Boyd's laminated stock and replaced the factory trigger with a Timney Hunter Elite. Took my very first deer of the year with it during MS early, doe's only season.
I'm awaiting on my 2nd Badger Ridge conversion. The only issue I had with the first one was getting the Federal primers in and out of the bolt face. I'm not quite sure what the problem was. It could be that the Federals rim has a slight flare to it that makes it difficult to install and remove. I took an oval shaped needle file and broke the tip off of it and gave the slot in the bolt head a couple strokes each side opening it just a couple thousands and this resolved the issue. That rifle can shoot with 250 gr Barnes Expanders

Back