Radar instead of chronograph?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder what the cost might be?
Might be time to look for a new one as mine works but unfortunately a felt wad (at 10' @ 1500fps) out of a BPCR hit the plastic cover over the digital readout out - amazing what a small piece of felt can do at the speed..

I believe I seen $550 some place. Its expensive but, if it was out of the way and wouldn't be hit by a sabot or wad, well for some it may be worth the price, by not having to replace chronographs. It wouldn't get covered in soot if you placed it on the up wind side of the bench. However if one was shooting a saboted bullet, would it register the sabot too?

Encore50a:
Richard from labradar emailed me back stating they are still awaiting FCC approval, trials are out and they are expecting their first shipment sometime later this summer.
Told him I'd like to test it with a Black Powder -ML. He said he never thought of that or tested - we'll see..

I thought this radar chrono you can put closer to the rifle...if so you may not pick up the sabot...most of my sabots I find over 30 feet away...and I dont thingk they fly far once they seperate from bullet as they are flowered ..even at 10 feet away i still think the sabot is attached..need a slow motion camera to see when sabot departs the bullet...

Got an email from them today that the shipment is now late September.. Was hoping to have one to try with ML at Friendship in September - not so.

Been watching this thing with interest. Of course after I bought a magnetospeed 3.. Now there's a cheaper magnetospeed without the case and 1/4" rod.
About the only problem with the magnetospeed is you either load around the bayonet, or remove and reattach every shot. No problem for anything but a muzzleloader.. Specifically whet I wanted the chrono for. That radar solves the old chrono problems of aligning in the line of fire, between muzzle and target, at a specific distance from muzzle. and the blast/sabot etc. damage. Or the hassles of the magnetospeed bayonet. If it follows suit with most new technology, Ill wait a few years and get one at 1/2 the current cost. 8) I hope..
Ive learned Its usually not so good to be the first guy with new technology. Way too often, the first round of anything is almost prototype stage. The first round of consumers are usually the guinnea pigs and detail the flaws and shorfalls. then a second improved version is offered, or it slips into obscurity. Plus the new tchnology pricetag.

Hornady has used Doppler radar in the development of their new ELD-X hunting ammo and bullet line. It's going to debut at the 2016 Shot Show.

Back