Ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
I’ve been exploring some different lightweight ramrod options for a backcountry lightweight muzzy. My go-to has always been custom SpinJag GI aluminum rods. Delrin is light but for most applications I don’t like the flex.

I’m trying to keep total weight on this Omega X7 close to 6 lbs.

Mark Woodman has recently started making some beautiful one piece carbon fiber ramrods. I have two versions of his - a textured and a smooth - both with brass ends.

Weights of a few options (22.25 “ length):

Aluminum 3.7 oz
Delrin 3 oz
Carbon V1 1.8 oz
Carbon V2 1.6 oz

The Woodman version 2 smooth carbon fiber rod is very light and stiff. Both the carbon rods have very little flex (similar to aluminum). I’ll be testing them shortly in the field.

6B65B957-4477-43D0-875C-207F99B65A72.jpeg

I can't speak for the Woodman models (probably very well-made based on his reputation), but I love my spin jag ramrod-love the ability to break it down, and it has held up well. I never actually have a ramrod on the thimbles of the gun anymore- have lost too many getting caught in overhanging limbs/bushes.

I’ve used the SpinJag aluminum ramrod with the SpinJag on my other muzzleloaders. Mark does not recommend aluminum ramrods in the Patriot. I’m using one of his longer ramrods for a range rod with a SpinJag and for cleaning too. I think he is going to offer custom sized Delrin ramrods. Hoping to get one that I can use with a SpinJag with the Patriot in the thimbles.

I’ve used the SpinJag aluminum ramrod with the SpinJag on my other muzzleloaders. Mark does not recommend aluminum ramrods in the Patriot. I’m using one of his longer ramrods for a range rod with a SpinJag and for cleaning too. I think he is going to offer custom sized Delrin ramrods. Hoping to get one that I can use with a SpinJag with the Patriot in the thimbles.
Sounds good

I’ve been exploring some different lightweight ramrod options for a backcountry lightweight muzzy. My go-to has always been custom SpinJag GI aluminum rods. Delrin is light but for most applications I don’t like the flex.

I’m trying to keep total weight on this Omega X7 close to 6 lbs.

Mark Woodman has recently started making some beautiful one piece carbon fiber ramrods. I have two versions of his - a textured and a smooth - both with brass ends.

Weights of a few options (22.25 “ length):

Aluminum 3.7 oz
Delrin 3 oz
Carbon V1 1.8 oz
Carbon V2 1.6 oz

The Woodman version 2 smooth carbon fiber rod is very light and stiff. Both the carbon rods have very little flex (similar to aluminum). I’ll be testing them shortly in the field.

View attachment 37348
How did you get the Woodman carbon fiber ramrods? I didn’t see them on their website.

Does this mean Mark Woodman is making and selling barrels to fit the X7 OEM stock?
I somewhat make them to the customers preference. That's with a Brux because I simply have him contour it. I tend to stick with my contours on button barrels. It's a bit of hours to setup and program all the ops on the CNC. With our workload it hard to justify stopping production for a one off contour.

When I get my scout conversion barrel back I was wondering how I would carry the ramrod. The collapsible ones are a bit pricey and you still have to carry it somehow.
Then I got to thinking why not use a single arrow quiver attached to the backpack or even a small 3 arrow bow quiver. They weigh next to nothing and would hold a ramrod securely.

Latest posts

Back