Range session and future hunt.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
Things haven't progressed as quickly as I had hoped. Muzzy season opened this weekend but I chose to sit out and get a range session in instead. I had planned on taking the Lyman GPR 54 cal out but I changed the barrel out and when I went to change the front sight to a Lyman 17 globe sight I accidently buggered it up. What should have been a simple tap in ended up ruining the sight base so I need to get another globe sight in .
The Lyman GPR I built from a kit many years ago :s2: but I have had a 1:32 twist barrel on for a long time. I switched it to the 1:60 twist barrel.
This has been my favorite gun for a long long time.

002-3.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

this is the front sight that came on the barrel. Which I don't care for

005-3.jpg

So instead, I chose to take the Rocky Mountain Hawken (1:65 twist)out since I wanted to shoot in spite of the others not being ready.

006-4.jpg

007-3.jpg

008-5.jpg

I don't like the sights on it at all, but I wanted to shoot.: :D

009-3.jpg

it has a Gemmer rear sight with sliding ramp elevation. It reminds me of a bb gun sight. I hate it.
But I was surprised at how accurate it was for my old eyes and just a blur back there. At 50 yards with 90 gr pyrodex select, 530 rb , .018 patch it shot one ragged hole. I just may have to let it hunt at 100 yards or less after all.

The Renegade is the main one I wanted to get up and shooting.I finished the stock, got the 58 cal GM barrel ( 1:70 twist)on but didn't get the sights on yet.
010-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

012-1.jpg

I have a Lyman 57 sml rear sight and a Lyman 17 globe front sight for it also but after messing up the sight on the GPR I decided to take my time and not be in a hurry. I plan on having the sights on this week and then spend several days with the Renegade and GPR to see which I can wring the best performance out of.
If I do get the itch to hunt and can't wait til they are finished I will probably take the Rocky Mountain Hawken and keep my shots close. We have 6 weeks so there is no reason to get in a big hurry though.
You gotta love shooting a round ball gun. My wife wants one now : :D sorry about the quality of the pics but all i have is a phone camera

I think you are really going to like the Lyman 57 rear sight. I have them on several rifles and more purchases planned. I'm thinking the TC fiber optic front might be something I want to try. You will find the Lyman apptures are too small for hunting. Get several of the Williams twlight apptures they fit the TC and Lyman peeps. I find the .125 and .150 sizes to be good for woods hunting. Keep your hunting apperture in the cap box on the rifle.

Great looking arsonal of muzzleloaders! The wood on that rocky mtn hawken is beautiful! Good luck this weekend

Latest posts

Back