Re. Powder column in a 45-70 Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeeter

Ontariario
Reaction score
I got to thinking of the discussion of the powder column in some of these conversions, and I realize that the concern is having enough bullet/sabot/wad extending into the rifling of the barrel to prevent gas cutting.
Some are using extended breech plugs to limit this risk.
I was thinking of using a section of a 45-70 casing ( which the chamber is designed for) to fill the gap between the B.P. and the chamber wall. The breech plug will hold the section securely and one could even loctite it place if preferred.
Is this a feasible idea? Any possible repercussions with this?
Any comments , discussions would be appreciated.

for reduced loads of faster powders. (as a possible prevention of potential gas cutting as per discussions of previous concerns)

I don't think part of the 45-70 case would help. The case walls would have to be thick. Thick enough to be the same diameter as the hole in the breech plug. You would be better off to use a longer plug or special made plug.
My Scout conversion is setup specifically for lighter saboted loads. I used the longer Hankins DI plug. With that plug, I got a very small powder chamber. I use the faster powders. I have settled on N110. I can still use 4198 but my powder column will be longer.

One reason I am wanted to use n110 is because I can use 33-35 grains of powder instead of the h4198 which I use 60 grains.And I want to use n110 in my new Woodman Arms 45 cal sml because it is a 24'' barrel.My Knight 45 sml has a 26'' barrel is why I use the h4198.

I have a Savage BP that was set up for vent liners n 209 primers. I disliked having to pay on avg. $6 for every vent liner that its flame channel got to large. Seemed to only get about 30-35 shots from one. So i drilled the BP out n tapped it to fit the 5/16" DI modules. It has a chamber space. Guess i need to pull it n see how much powder it will hold. I use bunch of different powders. Bluedot/VV110/4759/5744/4198/RL 7. I have not got any one load that is the best. I am still working on load testing.

Latest posts

Back