Re-stock plastic inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan57

Reaction score
I admit I sometimes go a little overboard on wild tangents, but hear me out. Has anyone ever considered re-stocking one of the modern plastic-stocked inlines, like an Optima or Wolf etc, in fancy wood, maybe with a curved brass butt plate and full forend out to the muzzle with a forend cap?

The recoil of that stock will cripple anybody but superman. Batman wouldn't even try it. Curved Buttplates of metal with that amount of drop have gone out of favor for over 100 years because they hurt to shoot.

That would be sweet!

What is considered the best modern inline muzzleloader with an exposed hammer? I'm not really knowledgeable. I have a TC Encore 209X50, but the method of attaching the stock makes this kind of mod not feasible for it.

The recoil of that stock will cripple anybody but superman. Batman wouldn't even try it. Curved Buttplates of metal with that amount of drop have gone out of favor for over 100 years because they hurt to shoot.

I hear you, but this would not necessarily be for 1000 yard howitzer artillery loads for elephant. I dunno, I'm a skinny old man, I shoot a .54 Kibler with some pretty stout roundball loads, and I'm not too badly crippled I think (gimme a sec I'll check again to make sure... yep I seem ok). LOL this is just a mind experiment.

When you drop the stock that much drop in the comb it is going to dump all that recoil into your shoulder and body ,it looks cool and it would be okay as long as you were shooting black powder or maybe something like Shooters World ,I would sure hate to shoot that stock with a stiff load of Blackhorn or Triple 7 I would get past it looking good real fast, now if you kept the same lines that the factory original stocks had and went to a really nice wood and butt plate you might have something. I agree with decay I hurt just looking at that stock but the Aesthetics are appealing.

Y'all, come on 😄, forget the drop, we can adjust the drop! I spent 5 minutes photoshopping that. We can have a straight stock like an AR-15 if you want. The point was a concept of dressing up a modern muzzleloader in fancy wood and accoutrements. Ok ok peace. ( Dang... tough crowd in here 🤣 )

Cripple? Sorry, I couldn't let this die LOL. Frederick Selous would have been amused. His 4 Bore muzzleloader, with significant stock drop and a curved butt plate, shot a 1/4 pound ball at 1300 fps for almost 10,000 ft-lb of energy :
selous.jpg

I guess people were less recoil sensitive back then, huh :D ?

OK I'll shut up now....

Latest posts

Back