real BC of 200grn shockwave??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cummins cowboy

Reaction score
I looked at hornady's site and the BC for this bullet is .265, that seems pretty high, how accurate do you think that # is.

What is the minimum amount of energy required to cleanly take a mule deer

I shot some of the 200 grain Shockwaves the other day at my range. I was shooting 110 grains of Triple Se7en FFg. I have no idea of those ballistic numbers but these things really did shoot well. I want to try them out at the 200 yard range this weekend if all goes well.

I was wondering how much drop they would have if they are hitting 2" high at 100 yards. So this is indeed an interesting question. At least there are lots of experienced sabot shooters here.

On a different forum a poster said that they use them for whitetail deer. They did not give a lot of detail, but then you figure they are shooting 185 grain projectiles at deer a 200 grain with an Aero Tip should at least get some good penetration...

I know this load like the back of my hand! :p

The bc for the 200gr SST is 0.217 and you can pretty much take that to the bank.

Energy for a mule deer? I'd say 1000ftlbs or better would be fine as just a number.

Cowboy, I forgot what rifle you are using but I'd try to get around 2150fps or so with that bullet. That's 120-125gr ffg 777 loose in my Disc Elite. Sight in almost exactly 3 inches high at 100yds and that will be dead on at 161yds. I wouldn't want to be a mule deer within 180yds of anyone with that load!

boy that .217 is sure alot different than .265, I am shooting a .50 A&H right now I am getting 1.5moa with the 200 SC. and 120grns ot T7. Developed a trigger problem yesterday which precluded my testing of 3 p pellets. bascially I wanna push a light bullet in the 195-200grn weight to top velocity and still maintain accuracy for long range. We have vast distances here to shoot, every year there are bucks right out of our campsite but they are about 225yds over flat ground away. I wanna be able to make a shot like this with ease of course with a nice steady rest. bascially I want max distances performance. what do you think 3 pellets will do to a 200grn SC out of a 26" barrel??

what do you think 3 pellets will do to a 200grn SC out of a 26" barrel??

I got 2250fps with a 200gr SST/Blue MMP/150gr 777 pellets out of my Disc Elite. Accuracy was good but not nearly as good as with 100-125gr ffg 777. 225yds is a LONG way for a Triple Se7en gun!

The velocities for T7 pellets or Pyrodex pellets are very close. Pyrodex pellets have been more accurate for me than T 7 pellets; not surprising as T 7 pellets vary so much in weight.

You'll have to chrono your own gun to find out for sure, but the chances are very remote that you will get velocities nearly as high out of an A & H barrel as you would a Knight Disc Elite barrel.

umm..interesting, why is the A&H barrel typically slower, as soon as I find a decent load I have an unopened competition electronics chrono to try out

The one load I tried in both my Austin & Halleck .50 and my Disc Elite .50 was the 250gr SST with 150gr Triple Se7en Pellets:

A/H 150gr Triple Se7en pellets: 2134fps
Disc Elite 150gr Triple Se7en pellets: 2140fps

VERY close. The A/H does have a little more barrel so maybe that is a contribution to the close velocities.

The usable barrel length is at least as stated, sometimes longer-- 26 - 26-1/2.

I've never had a 3 pellet T7 / 250 gr. load crack 2100 fps in an A & H, and it has been the most accurate load in no gun I've ever tried it in. Pyrodex pellets, as mentioned above, has always been more accurate than their T7 counterparts.

100 gr. T 7 loose T 7 FFg has been in a sub-1/2" load in the 420 I shoot most often with a 340 gr. lead sabot. No speed demon @ 1600 fps, but that is what I've hunted with because it shoots so supremely well.

By rights, the 420 should have a slightly higher MV than a Disc Elite, but the opposite has always been the case on the same day with both guns and identical loads.

Latest posts

Back