Red Dot on Muzzy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker12

Reaction score
I need to get set up for a UT mule deer hunt and want to be comfortable out to 200 yards. I have a Knight UL in 50 cal. Last time I hunted UT in 2009 I used a 1X scope that unfortunately is no longer with me. Open sights no longer work for me with my aging eyes. If I can find a 1 MOA red dot I am thinking that will work. I have recently set up a centerfire rifle to practice with. If it works out I’ll be looking for something for the Knight. Any recommendations

2moa dot works for me out to 200 on 6" steel with my AR and various centerfire rifles...

I'm a poor, so I'd go with the AT3 RD-50 (again, I've already got 2) $100 or less, lifetime warranty. You can get better but you are gonna spend more than twice as much....

I have no problem buying quality glass. I figure I can repurpose it on one of my pig hunting guns after the hunt. My biggest problem is that some of the red dots I get the star burst. I have all summer to get it right and will be fun doing a bunch of shooting.

I have no problem buying quality glass. I figure I can repurpose it on one of my pig hunting guns after the hunt. My biggest problem is that some of the red dots I get the star burst. I have all summer to get it right and will be fun doing a bunch of shooting.
That is astigmatism showing up to mess with you

I think the "windshield style" reflex site will fix that for you

Worth hitting a LGS and eyeballing a few

Just my 2 cents… If I use a red dot my astigmatism shows up and makes it irregular. I have had really good luck with Swampfox’s Kingslayer with the GREEN circle dot. Handled the recoil of my 10 gauge w no problems. All my Turkey guns have one. be something to consider. Amazon is running a great sale right now.
https://www.amazon.com/Swampfox-Sentinel-Micro-Reflex-Pistol/dp/B09MRP5JR5?th=1

I have an older Bushnell sight that I bought for about $80 a good while ago. It has either dot or cross hairs, red or green. I like shooting the green crosshairs. I have seen them on Ebay recently. I also have astigmatism so the dot is not round but the cross hair mode is perfect.

I’d recommend not going cheap (that’s my recommendation for all optics). You’re going to be traveling all the way to Utah for the hunt (which you haven’t hunted for 15 years) - the optic is the last thing I’d scrimp on. Muzzies can be tough on optics.
I completely agree with this.^^^
I think I only have one red dot with 1 moa, and it’s a Trijicon RMR. I have no problem recommending that sight.
I have a couple Aimpoint Micro H1’s and a Holosun 509t with 2 moa dots. I like the Holosun, but I haven’t spend enough time with it to recommend it yet. I have several years experience with the Aimpoints and killed a ton of stuff using them, and I’ll definitely recommend that sight.

Just my 2 cents… If I use a red dot my astigmatism shows up and makes it irregular. I have had really good luck with Swampfox’s Kingslayer with the GREEN circle dot. Handled the recoil of my 10 gauge w no problems. All my Turkey guns have one. be something to consider. Amazon is running a great sale right now.
https://www.amazon.com/Swampfox-Sentinel-Micro-Reflex-Pistol/dp/B09MRP5JR5?th=1
I have been told the the green dot is more forgiven for eyes with astigmatism.

Latest posts

Back