Reloading .270 Winchester

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle that measures 3.5 OAL with Barnes Triple Shock touching the lands. Is this normal, manuals say MAX COAL should be around 3.29. Is it going to create a problem reloading shell .050 off the lands, pressure too high?

MQ32shooter said:
I have a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle that measures 3.5 OAL with Barnes Triple Shock touching the lands. Is this normal, manuals say MAX COAL should be around 3.29. Is it going to create a problem reloading shell .050 off the lands, pressure too high?

Should not create any pressure problems.

Will the 3.5 o.a.l. feed from the magazine reliably.? Is it too long for the magazine?

Barnes actually recommends starting with a slightly deeper seating depth .050" is a perfect starting point.

I have a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle that measures 3.5 OAL with Barnes Triple Shock touching the lands.

Barnes and others have always politely requested to NOT load X-bullets to touch the lands because of the POSSIBILITY of excess pressure. Barnes RECOMMENDS 0.050 off the lands as Jimmy mentioned. I usually spilt the difference and go 0.030 off the lands where magazine will allow. So I'd probably shoot for a cartridge OAL of 3.450 to 3.470 provided magazine will allow.

MQ32shooter said:

Seating away from the rifling (versus touching) with everything else the same will result in lower pressure/velocity.

Vince
s.w. Ohio

Anyone have any time tested and proven .270 Win loads they would care to share?

MQ32shooter said:
Anyone have any time tested and proven .270 Win loads they would care to share?

SURE!

The old standby favorites are 55gr IMR-4350 or 57gr IMR 4831 with a 130gr bullet. Either of those two would be good ones and are what I USED to shoot all the time. Lately I've been using Accurate Arms powder and have switched to using 56-56gr of AA-4350 with a 130gr bullet. As far as bullets go from the ACCURACY standpoint it's hard to beat a 130gr Sierra Pro Hunter and it should do just fine on any whitetail/muledeer around. If you'd like a tougher bullet just use a 130gr Nosler Partition.

For varmints just substitute the Sierra .277 dia. 90 gr. HP Varminter over Chuck's charges or 60 grains of H4831.

Chuck, did you not like the TSX? If no please let me know why, pm or otherwise- too expensive ?

Underclocked, what was your POI change switching from 130's to the lighter varmint bullet?

It's been so long that I can't say for sure. Used to load a lot of those late in my teens for groundhog/coyote hunting. That's only been about 40 years ago. :D But as I dimly recall the impact change out of that old 700 Remington wasn't much at all - surely less than 2" at 100.

I've never loaded a TSX. I have loaded a good bit of Xs, XBTs, and XLCBTs though! :D I have to admit that the 185gr .338 XBT is one accurate muther in my 700KS .338 Winchester. But OVERALL I have found the Barnes to be typically a little more tempermental than any other bullet. With the introduction of the Swift Sirocco and Hornady Interbonds I really don't see the need and I've never really seen ANYTHING that a 130gr or 150gr Nosler Partition wouldn't do in a .270 Winchester.

If tomorrow someone told me I had to use a .270 Win this year on whitetails I wouldn't pick a Barnes. Practically EVERY .277 cal bullet out there is designed for the .270 Win. If I wanted to try something new, I would probably try a Sirocco or Interbond. But my Gold Standard for accuracy would be with a 130gr Sierra Pro Hunter. For the best combination of accuracy and bullet construction it is STILL hard to beat a 130gr Nosler Partition.

I helped mu buddy with some 270 loads with the Scirroco, he never shot anything with it, but it was accurate on paper. I don't recall the powder or charge weight, but it was a book load.Rifle was a 700 rem bdl syn/ss.

I shot the XLCBT,X,XBT in my 25-06 with all sorts of loads and different seating depths and the best group I could get was a little under 2". Too much money for that poor of accuracy. I have loaded up my 300WSM with some TSX but have not shot them yet. I am leaning towards staying with accubomd or interbond.

I shot the XLCBT,X,XBT in my 25-06 with all sorts of loads and different seating depths and the best group I could get was a little under 2".

You have just about mirrored my results. That's out of a .270 Win, .270 Weatherby, 7mm-08, 7mmRemMag, 30-06, 300 Winchester, 300 Weatherby, .338 Win, and .375 H&H too. It's too easy to just get a Nosler Partition, fiddle with powder charges a little, and be done with it.

Real accuracy to me is less than three quarters of an inch, especialy in that round or my 250. My 250 will shoot groups like that with the cheap USA Win ammo. $26 for 50 bollets is rediculis(spelling) when most others are that or less for 100ct

I had already bought TSX prior to this new forum topic and so far with 10% less than the 59.5 gr max suggested load from Hodgdon ( 54 grains H4831) and the TSX seated same as factory Rem corelokts my groups were running around 1". I have loaded some more with bullets seated .030 and .050 off the lands, with 58.5 grains and plan to shoot them soon.

MQ32shooter said:
I had already bought TSX prior to this new forum topic and so far with 10% less than the 59.5 gr max suggested load from Hodgdon ( 54 grains H4831) and the TSX seated same as factory Rem corelokts my groups were running around 1". I have loaded some more with bullets seated .030 and .050 off the lands, with 58.5 grains and plan to shoot them soon.

Sounds like you are doing SOMETHING right! 8) Keep us informed!

Latest posts

Back