rem 12 Ga

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Just picked up a rem 870 with a 20" rifled barrel
has pretty good irons on them so I won't be putting ang glass on it
was loading a Lee 1 oz. slug in my handloads using longshot powder (the only shotgun powder I have)
The slug is not a full bore 12 ga slug so it needs a shot cup
could not get a group to save my life, one here then another way over there
(anyone can attest that shooting 12 ga. slugs off the bench is no fun, especially 25 in a row)
So I ordered a Svarog full bore slug mold
I used to have a full bore mold that I designed from Accurate Molds that I had real good luck with and this is similar plus there are many different tail plugs and tail pieces for those plugs that make a very accurate flying slug
Hopefully I can rest easy but time will tell

I use that same lee mold, the problem is in the right wad. I forget the number, but the only thing I could get to shoot reliably is a discontinued AA wad, I have a stockpile of them now, and they shoot in every gun Ive tried. Actually my dad worked up the load, he used to hand them out to friends and everyone liked em. He used red dot

Claybuster sw250-12 mite help it's a wad for sabot type slugs, just thought I'd throw that in.

Yep, try some different cup/sabot. Sounds like yours are probably too loose for that slug. Test fit a couple thru the barrel, should be snug. Not hammer tight but more than just sliding right thru. A shot cup isnt meant to spin a slug, just holds shot together. I isnt grabbing the rifling or the slug well enough.

Just picked up a rem 870 with a 20" rifled barrel
has pretty good irons on them so I won't be putting ang glass on it
was loading a Lee 1 oz. slug in my handloads using longshot powder (the only shotgun powder I have)
The slug is not a full bore 12 ga slug so it needs a shot cup
could not get a group to save my life, one here then another way over there
(anyone can attest that shooting 12 ga. slugs off the bench is no fun, especially 25 in a row)
So I ordered a Svarog full bore slug mold
I used to have a full bore mold that I designed from Accurate Molds that I had real good luck with and this is similar plus there are many different tail plugs and tail pieces for those plugs that make a very accurate flying slug
Hopefully I can rest easy but time will tell
Good score! You can never go wrong with a trusty 870. I think thats thee most tactile 12ga ever made. Its been used & loved for everything under the sun - shotgun related for many decades!

As of this time the Svorag slugs, cast from pure lead, seem to be the best grouping
these are full bore slugs and weigh in around 640 gr's. I powder coat them and use a bush wad under them with a cork filler wad then roll crimp
I am also trying a sabot with a 300 gr. bullet so we shall see how they work

I am going to stick with the full bore slugs
they are much easier to get consistent groups from
besides I don't want to shoot up all my 44 cal bullets as of now they are in very limited (if any) available

Back