Results of my pattern method.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

Reaction score
Howdy folks
 Here's some pics of the results of my method of pattern making for powder horn caps. Take a look and let me know what you think? https://postimg.cc/gallery/2stkvqe2u/
  I posted a message stating that if anyone wanted to know how to make patterns for powder horns, I'd tell them how I do it, I got no takers. Anyway... here ya go. Maybe my method isn't as good as other peoples, but it looks OK to me? This is just for the inside plug. The outer cap is another story. The whole thing revolves around filing and sanding. Once you get the inner plug fit the outer cap is just a matter of gluing on the wood and cutting/sanding/filing to the outer horn surface, then tacking in the whole assembly and sealing the cap/plug with a mixture of bee's wax and paraffin. I also make threaded filler plugs that allow you to unscrew the plug and fill the horn. I hope someone find this useful?
God bless:
Stoney

Stoney, the edge of the horn to plug is nice and thin which looks really good. Should turn out to be a good looking horn. Thanks for sharing.  :ttups:

Buck Conner said:
Stoney, the edge of the horn to plug is nice and thin which looks really good. Should turn out to be a good looking horn. Thanks for sharing. 
Thanks Buck
 Yup... she came out great! I'll send pics. once it's complete. Making the pattern is easy, but no one wanted to know how to do it? It's the basis for a perfect fit. I guess everyone has their own method? ;)
Stoney

Looks perfect buddy! I have a horn that needs a base plug and spout plug. Any interest in doing this for me? I'll gladly cover the charges.

FrontierGander said:
Looks perfect buddy! I have a horn that needs a base plug and spout plug. Any interest in doing this for me? I'll gladly cover the charges.
Jon
 I'm a little unorthodox in my approach, but I'll take on the job. I'll PM you with the specifics. That's the best I can tell you.
Stoney

Latest posts

Back