Ribbed and lubricated or not? What ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sabot do you prefer and why?
Which brand, for what bullet diameter, vertical/radial ribs, etc. etc.
Which gun/caliber do you use these sabots?
Powder type and charge that works best for you...?

All my guns that i shoot sabot in are .45s using the crush ribbed light blue and a lightly knurled jacketed bullet that has been wiped clean with alcohol. Powder is either bh209 or a smokeless i4198, 2015, or n120.
For me I want it ribbed for my satisfaction.

I've been using hornady xtp 240s with the black sabot that comes with em. I believe that they are harvester but not positive. 80grn blackhorn by volume with a cci 209M primer out of my Accura V2 Lr. I'm going to be trying some 300grn Xtp and some different sabot as soon as the weather gets better and I get some time!

Joking aside, I brought the topic of sabots up 11 months ago but didn't hone in on the ribs... what gives?

Some Sabots have ribs that run parallel to the center of the barrel/bullet..."Harvester Muzzleloading Crush Rib High Pressure Sabots"

Other Sabots have ribs that run perpendicular to the barrel/bullet axis... "Traditions Smackdown XR with Ridgeback Sabot"
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/smackdown-xr-bullets-230-grain-.50-caliber
Some don't have ribs at all ..."Harvester Muzzleloading EZ Load Premium High Pressure Sabots" (used for many years)

Any believers in their chosen rib direction and why?

Back