Rose Hulman Engineers test Dirty Birds!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rifleman
Had a good time at the range yesterday and was using the new Dirty Bird targets. I bought 3 different sizes for testing. I had been using the Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See targets for quite some time now and did like everything about them but the price and the fact that the repair stickers often times fall off. The Dirty Birds are also made by Birchwood Casey, but cost about half the price of the Shoot-N-Sees. They do not have an adhesive backing or come with repair centers like the Shoot-N-Sees. They are black on white and come on a heavy plastic like sheet,whcih holds up very well to stapling the target to the backer. Overall I was pretty happy with the targets. When hit in the black there is a white ring surrounding the hole, and I had no problem seeing .30 cal hits in the targets at 100 yds with a 10x Leupold. THe contrast is a little less then the yellow ring on the other mentioned target, however it seems to be sufficient. I was joined at the range by three very nice young men from the Rose Hulman Institute of Technology , which is a very prestigous Engineering school here in Indiana where only the brightest are able to keep up with the courses. I asked them to try the new targets and give me their feedback, as being a shooter with many years experience, I am a little hard nosed when it comes to new products. The up and coming engineers were happy to cooperate, and the feedback I received from them was quite honest. Two of them said they really liked the new target , mentioning the more economical price, and the ability to get instant feedback on location of hits. One mentioned that he thought it was a pretty good target, but expressed reservations that he could not see . 30 cal holes at 100 yds without the aid of optics ! LOL , Well I guess he will be the shooter of the bunch as he was a pretty hard sell. Over all I think I can recommend the new Dirty Bird Targets from Birchwood Casey at least for you to give a try. At half the price of the Shoot N See, I think you will agree it is a pretty good target for the money. Rifleman

Back