Round 2..Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Scope choices for a "Hunting" ml

And lots of great communication has been made via telegraph... I see no reason for anyone to need a computer. :roll:

coaster500 said:
I pulled the trigger on the Leupold VX-3L CDS Rifle Scope - 4.5-14x50mm Matte Wind-Plex... at $589.99 at Natchez....it seemed like a lot of scope for the money. I have some low and medium Warne rings and will try to get it as close to the barrel as possible, then when time allows I will work on finding a load the Coop likes. I am really anxious but work right now has the process on hold for a bit....

I think that is an excellent choice!
Personally, I would rather have more than enough scope for whatever I want to do... rather than be at the bottom end of what is needed to make it happen.

I'm also a little puzzled by the short ramrod. I remember seeing that on the cooper thread here a while back... though it must have been a mistake. I think someone even may have mentioned that the delivered guns would have a full length, but I'm not sure. I'm not understanding why not a full length rod. To me, the advantage of the Easton style rod is that it gives you that extra few inches (expanded) so that you don't need any addl tools to be able to swab in the field - when you are in a hurry.

Looking forward to seeing how she shoots! :yeah:

Most of us who use a ML in rifle season still use open sights.

I don't and ive hunted with a ML in rifle season for over 10 years. Don't you think that "opinion" has more to do with Colorado's restrictive hunting laws than what hunters would actually prefer? Do you really think Sabotloader prefers to be forced to use conicals, open ignition and open sights in Idaho too? Obviously not since he uses sabots and scopes during his rifle season.

I'm just saying it's not hard to get close to elk.

It must be harder than using a scope and shooting a bit further based on the results ive seen you post of your hunts and "others" in that area. NM area 34 is a hot spot and highly desirable from what ive read. Its also a very hard draw. More or less a chance of a lifetime. Seems to me a hunter in his situation would want every legal advantage for a "chance of a lifetime" hunt. Plus the fact he invested a far amount of cash in a highend custom rifle. It deserves whatever higher end scope he wants.

Personally i don't care for a minimum magnification of 4X or more. If it were me i would get the 2x10 BUT its not me. I would not get a 50mm objective either but that again is just ME.

Squeeze said:
And lots of great communication has been made via telegraph... I see no reason for anyone to need a computer. :roll:

I don't either. Especially, when I read posts like yours.

I thought we were free to express our opinions on forums? Maybe we can only do it when we agree with you?

I have yet to see you agree with anything. Just a typical old codger with the same monotonous drivel I avoid every traditional forum for anymore. BUT I guess there has to be one in every crowd.. Carry on :)

And back to the topic....

I think you made a good call on the L series Leupold. I have always been curious of those with that different style objective bell. Be interested to here your report back on it. Also that gold ring is going to work great on that Cooper.

Hey coaster,

If you take the ramrod and just slip it down the bore till it touches the Breech plug, does the other end of the rod stop at the end of the muzzle or drop on down below it? I'm very curious. :wink:

GM54-120.....I really would have liked 2X at the lower end but I hunted with a 4X fixed scope as a young man and don't remember not being able to pick up a close target. If I think it will be a problem this scope may end up on one of my other rifles?

ShawnT said:
Hey coaster,

If you take the ramrod and just slip it down the bore till it touches the Breech plug, does the other end of the rod stop at the end of the muzzle or drop on down below it? I'm very curious. :wink:

[/U

[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/coaster500/media/d5dbdffe-eb22-40dc-91e2-4f053ffb4fb3_zpsr0jjoizl.jpg.html]

The end of the rod unscrews and re-tightens at the other end. It is also threaded to accept what ever seating tool you need for a specific bullet. The extension is made of what looks like stainless steel and appears to be very strong.

This is the T-Handle off a Traditions ramrod. The rod slides through the handle and can be carried on the rifle if you want. I'm not sure I will but it's a possibility.

This is the rod with a seating tool made for Barnes TEZ Bullets...

The length of that rod puzzles me. :huh?: I assume the pic with it in the bore is with it extended?

If you had the addl 1.5" (or however much it is short) you could actually hold the rod and swab the bore without adding any type of tool.
That is how I do it on my non BH209 shooting rifles, where I swab between shots.

Obviously it isn't the end of the world, it just seems to me that the rod would be full length. I know they make a bunch of different lengths of that rod... Knight has at least 4 different lengths that they use iirc. With the spin jag attached, maybe it will work out fine for you. Spin jag are a great tool. :yeah:

WV Hunter.....This picture shows the rod against the breach plug with the Barnes seating jag attached and the T handle....

Looks like a Knight ramrod to me. I usually use a range rod anyway, and ramrods are easily replaced as taste and style dictate. We have been waiting for someone to get a Cooper around here and report on field trials. LOL We are probably as anxious as you to see how it performs. Im sure you have a winner!

Squeeze said:
Looks like a Knight ramrod to me. I usually use a range rod anyway, and ramrods are easily replaced as taste and style dictate. We have been waiting for someone to get a Cooper around here and report on field trials. LOL We are probably as anxious as you to see how it performs. Im sure you have a winner!

X2 Ain't that the truth! :wink:

Coaster,

Thanks for the pictures. :yeah: Two more requests if you don't mind. Could you measure the length of the rod with the OEM jag and maybe post a pic of the barreled action "Out of the stock" with the rod in the "stored" position? See if the ramrod channel in the stock lets the rod go all the way back to the recoil/mounting lug.

I have run into that too, but the opposite problem with my custom .32cal. Looks like you added another loading tip like the Barnes to the top of the jag.

The issue is not what some will think. I would bet the reason that rod is set back from the muzzle is due to the mounting/recoil lug is most likely set back that much from the powder side of the Breech plug. Most ramrods when slid into the carry position, stop at the mounting/recoil lug. If they made the rod so it went to the end of the muzzle when it is under the barrel it would stick out of the barrel a long way, not that that would be a bad thing. The problem then is it would probably mean a "Custom" cut rod would need to be made for them instead of using one that is most likely already made and sold to Knight. Cooper said they would be using the Easton Rod and they are the same as for the Knight.

Re: Scope choices for "Hunting" a Cooper ml

ShawnT said:
Squeeze said:

X2 Ain't that the truth! :wink:

Coaster,

Thanks for the pictures. :yeah: Two more requests if you don't mind. Could you measure the length of the rod with the OEM jag and maybe post a pic of the barreled action "Out of the stock" with the rod in the "stored" position? See if the ramrod channel in the stock lets the rod go all the way back to the recoil/mounting lug.

I have run into that too, but the opposite problem with my custom .32cal. Looks like you added another loading tip like the Barnes to the top of the jag.

The issue is not what some will think. I would bet the reason that rod is set back from the muzzle is due to the mounting/recoil lug is most likely set back that much from the powder side of the Breech plug. Most ramrods when slid into the carry position, stop at the mounting/recoil lug. If they made the rod so it went to the end of the muzzle when it is under the barrel it would stick out of the barrel a long way, not that that would be a bad thing. The problem then is it would probably mean a "Custom" cut rod would need to be made for them instead of using one that is most likely already made and sold to Knight. Cooper said they would be using the Easton Rod and they are the same as for the Knight.

Hope this shows what you want.........

They did a really nice job on the bedding and the Trigger is without doubt the best I have ever pulled...

Thanks for those pictures. Wow that Stock looks great! I assume there is a "Tunnel" under the bedding for the ramrod? I am pretty sure that if you look at where the beech plug would end (powder side) inside the barrel you'll find it is not even with the Mounting lug, but out ahead of it. Is the Breech plug about 1" to 1 1/8" long? If so then there is the length difference and why they use a 24" rod. I was mistakenly thinking their barrel was going to be 26" long, not sure why I though that though. :roll:

Can't wait to see a range report on it. :yeah:

Man that Rifle is Beautiful. Congrads again!

From the face of the breech plug to the crown of the barrel is 25 1/4 measured with a bottomed out rod..... The rifle is advertised as a 26" barrel... I am not sure how they arrive at that number?

Thanks. :yeah:
That's pretty much what I expected.

Re: Scope choices for "Hunting" a Cooper ml

I have become a big fan of the Vortex brand of optics. They come with a lifetime warranty. My first purchase was a pair of 8 x 40 HD Razor binoculars. They compare very favorably with high end European glass at half the price. Great reviews from lots of users. Just put one of their 3 x 9 x 42 Diamondbacks on my Disc Elite. Very clear and good low light performance. It was $199 @Academy. IMO lot better than Nikon's Muzzleloader scopes. They have 2 other higher priced lines with a multitude of reticle choices, powers etc. I'm so pleased with them I'm going to replace the scopes on my my other 2 Kights, a LRH and MH with a couple of their Razors. Cameraland NY has good prices on them and really likes their quality.

Back