Round 2 w/ My Savage Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paia

Reaction score
I've been to the range four or five times over the last couple weeks and my Savage is doing better. I have a couple observations and questions:

The new B&C Duramaxx stock is great compared to the factory plastic one. I should have bought a Duramaxx a year ago when I started...

I have been drilling out my breechplug after each session (approx. 25 shots) and this seems to help with accuracy. Last year when I started with the Savage, I went with Wakeman's idea of cleaning only every 100 or so shots. That did not work so well.

I have also been checking my ventliner and when the hole eroded to over .035" I put in a new vent liner--This was after 76 shots (four trips to the range).

My rifle seems to prefer 300 grain bullets of .451 diameter with MMP HPH24 sabots and relatively light loads. Both 300 grn Hornady SST's and Barnes Expanders in HPH24's w/ 40.0 grains of 5744 will put three shots under 1 1/2" consistently.

Any .452, .451, or .4515 bullets in the MMP SHort Black sabots or HPH12's shot worse than in HPH24's--it seems I have a tight barrel.

A couple different 300 grain .458 bullets in MMP Orange sabots did not shoot that well either.

SR4759 did not do well in my rifle with any of the 300 grn bullets.

I am going to work with some 250 SST's and Barnes Expanders w/ HPH24 sabots and see how they do.

Has anyone chronographed a 300 grain bullet and 40.0 grains of 5744? What is the approx. velocity?

I read somewhere that Hornady SST's come with HPH12's from the factory--is this true?

And are T/C Shockwaves made by Hornady? I heard the T/C Shockwaves are packaged with HPH24's--is this true? If Shockwaves and SST's are interchangeable, I'll buy the SW's since my rifle seems to prefer HPH24's.

I think I am making progress and starting to get some decent groups. Thank you very much for all your help -- I've learned a lot from this forum. I'll keep working on it and let you know how I do.

paia said:
I read somewhere that Hornady SST's come with HPH12's from the factory--is this true?

And are T/C Shockwaves made by Hornady? I heard the T/C Shockwaves are packaged with HPH24's--is this true? If Shockwaves and SST's are interchangeable, I'll buy the SW's since my rifle seems to prefer HPH24's.

I think I am making progress and starting to get some decent groups. Thank you very much for all your help -- I've learned a lot from this forum. I'll keep working on it and let you know how I do.
The SST/SW is the same bullet made by Hornady. The last 3 boxes of SST's I got were packaged with the HPH 24 and several people have also confirmed the same. Hornady was rumored to be making the switch to 24's awhile back and have apparently did so. I bought the SW's for the same reason but have gone back to the SST's since it is a little better deal. As long as the boxes are fresh they should have the 24 sabot.

I have been drilling out my breechplug after each session (approx. 25 shots) and this seems to help with accuracy. Last year when I started with the Savage, I went with Wakeman's idea of cleaning only every 100 or so shots. That did not work so well.

It's a sales pitch, nothing more and it certainly isn't conducive to best accuracy. I always take an extra cleaned breechplug to the range with me to swap out if I shoot over 25 shots.

Has anyone chronographed a 300 grain bullet and 40.0 grains of 5744? What is the approx. velocity?

About 1850fps.

I am going to work with some 250 SST's and Barnes Expanders w/ HPH24 sabots and see how they do.

That sounds good. Get some Harvester H504SSB short black sabots. They usually mate up really well with the 250gr SSTs. Be sure to try some more SR-4759 too, 42-44grs.

Sounds like you are learning a lot!

Thanks very much guys--I really appreciate the information.

I'll look for those Harvester sabots. Their smooth green sabot with 300 grn .430 XTP's has been my favorite in my Omega for a few years now.

Thanks again

Pala, 1st let me say, I'm a big fan of 5744. I seldom shoot anything else. I don't want to "pop" anyones bubble, but 41.3 grs. 5744 300 xtp @ 55 degrees chronoed at 1785 fps. The same bullet with 44 grs. clocked at 1860 fps. Speed is not 5744's forte.

You must absolutley revisit the .458 300 grn bullets! The orange MMP is not the best choice.The Harvester HP black crush rib(part.no.-H15045BR)is a excellent choice for these bullets and a tight barrel.

Tar-12 said:
You must absolutley revisit the .458 300 grn bullets! The orange MMP is not the best choice.The Harvester HP black crush rib(part.no.-H15045BR)is a excellent choice for these bullets and a tight barrel.

I'll check those out 'cause I have a couple hundred .458 300 grn bullets left over from when I was shooting a .45/70 a good bit. I'd love to find at least a decent practice load for the Savage ML to shoot them up with.
Thanks--

Latest posts

Back