Help on some load development ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imstihlaguy

Reaction score
So I'm new to smokless muzzleloaders, not new to muzzleloaders. Got my first build coming together now, it'll be a while till the gun is done, but I'm trying to plan a load to try put once it is.

Im building on a savage action, with a kit from Cecil at prbullet.
50 cal stainless green mountain barrel.
28", 1:26"

I've heard alot of guys doing the hornady 300 grain bullets, powerd by some 5744. I dont hate that, but a part of me wants to shoot 50 cal bullets.

Id like to shoot the fury 320 grain universal fits. Any suggestions on load to move that bullet? Or any other 50 cal loads, sabboted or un sabboted, that you think I should try? Thanks guys.

you're going to have limited .50 cal bullets available , Thor might have some to choose from to see what fits your barrel best.
As for saboted 300 gr. 45 cal bullets I've had great results with 60-68 grs of 4198 either H or IMR, and 60-65 grs of N120 if you can get it.
just remember to allow time for the barrel to cool between shots.

Thanks for that. I understand 50 is less popular than 45s, but up here in Canada you need a min 50 cal to do larger than deer sized game, so I want a do it all gun.

I do have the afformentioned fury universal fits very readily available to me, any experience moving those? I've heard they are great bullets.
Also it seems in my previous bp experience 45s in sabot are not hard to come across at all. I'm just wonding on best ways to move them

So I'm new to smokless muzzleloaders, not new to muzzleloaders. Got my first build coming together now, it'll be a while till the gun is done, but I'm trying to plan a load to try put once it is.

Im building on a savage action, with a kit from Cecil at prbullet.
50 cal stainless green mountain barrel.
28", 1:26"

I've heard alot of guys doing the hornady 300 grain bullets, powerd by some 5744. I dont hate that, but a part of me wants to shoot 50 cal bullets.

Id like to shoot the fury 320 grain universal fits. Any suggestions on load to move that bullet? Or any other 50 cal loads, sabboted or un sabboted, that you think I should try? Thanks guys.
Some more...
https://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/board/13/load-info-tginpa-boardYou may find what you looking for in these couple of links.

50 cal smokeless options seem to be endless to me if you considering all the 451-452 bullets available as well as the 458 to me again with the shortages of all types in all of the gun industry if you are a smokeless shooter I think the 45 Cal is the king but the 50 cal shooting plastic gives you a lot of options, I like options ,and of course there's a lot of information and load and Trace information available if you start looking online I just started shooting a 22 twist 50 cal It's already showing tremendous potential with a $325 grain Northern Precision bullet going to be shooting a 20 twist also I do intend on shooting some bullet to bore ,fury, Northern precision and there are some other 50 cal jacketed bullets out there. I'm going to stay with 4198 because of my shooting is going to be with 275 grain- 400 grain bullets wouldn't it be nice to have a half inch or less accuracy load with a 50 cal that would shoot High BC 452 bullets such as a 325 Fury or Pitman or Arrowhead there are some really great bullets that have come out the last 5 or 6 years that I don't see listed in a lot of those Savage loads it sure seems to me that revisiting the 50 cal potential and taking a closer look at new bullets would be worthwhile

When you look at the other bores such as 30 that your mind instantly goes to all the wonderful High BC Bullets but that is the problem because of their length/ sectional density it's just hard to get them to function because of the pressure spike issues shooting them in a smokeless muzzleloader I think if someone trying 30 cal stay focused on the short for bore bullets such as all of the 30 br type bullets in the 90 to 115 grain category they might have something a lot of other guys have tried the other bores smokeless years ago if you go back and learn all you can about those experiments those pressure spikes and powder Chambers and the issues around them were the reason s that most walked away from that I can't find anyone from that time and it wasn't long ago that tried the tighter bores with short for bore varmint bullets no reason why a 33 or 35 could not potentially be a great smokeless muzzleloader again if you stay short for bore

One of the most accurate bench rest calibers today currently is a 30 BR and it's close family members most of the shooters are shooting bullets right at that hundred and ten to 115 grain weight if you set one of those bullets right beside a 275 45 Cal in a proportionate sense it looks close however if you take 125 grand above bullet 30 cal and set it beside the 45 Cal bullet the obvious difference will leave will be very noticeable. I see no reason why I smokeless shooter today could not be shooting a modern version of the 32 Cal squirrel gun except in 30 cal if that individual kept his Focus on light bullets and if you think about this from a hunting standpoint which I realize the 30 cow would not be legal however there's not many deer or hogs in America that a small 30 cal varmint bullet would not take down instantly and it might bring a whole new Arena of modern bench rest type shooting what if smokeless Muzzleloader and a 1 and 17 or 18 twist shooting 30 cal light varmint bullets was able to achieve close to or near the accuracy potential of the little 30 BR cartridge which by the way runs about 5,000 PSI be a interesting modern squirrel gun wouldn't it

The 30 BR runs at 45,000 PSI sorry about that be real easy to stay in that 35,000 to 40,000 category the cartridge velocity is around 2950 to 3150 be easy to stay in that 2800 to 2950 category I think and keep pressures reasonable always thinking

Latest posts

Back