Ruger 77/17

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
About 3-4 years ago I bought a synthetic stocked Ruger 77/17. Not sure why I really bought it, but I bought it anyway. It was a fairly new deal on the market so I figured it would be fun to plink around with. I bought it new and installed a Rifle Basix trigger in the little gun. I mounted a Leupold 4-12X AO scope with the supplied Ruger rings. I was quite proud of my little pea shooter and removed the plastic inserts where your standard checkering would be and installed some really nice walnut inserts. The gun looked sharp with the black stock and walnut accents. I took it to the range and could not get the gun to hit the target :shock: The gun continually hit right off of the target. I ran out of left windage adjustment and was still hitting 3' to the right. I figured it had to be the scope after all it was mounted correctly and tight. I sent the scope back to Leupold. Test came back and showed that the scope had the proper amount of adjustment both vertically and horizontally. I remounted the scope in the same rings and went to the range. Same results!!! :shock:
I checked the barrel wedge lock and screws both were tight and appeared to be even :?:
I figured it had to be the rings... so I changed them. I bought a Weaver adapter base and mounted a Burris scope in the Burris rings.
Back to the range!
Same results :twisted: :twisted:
Now I'm really scratching my bald head and send the gun back to Ruger.
Now keep in mind there is no stated warranty and I bought the gun approximately 3 1/2 years ago.
I got the gun back from Ruger last week and have intentions of shooting it this weekend. Ruger states that they repaired the barrel??? (Not sure what that means) and RE-machined the integral ring base slots on the receiver. Thankfully NO charge. So we will see just how this pans out in short order.
I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I'm glad that they repaired my gun after 3 + years but I am NOT satisfied with their explanation of the problem or the aggravation and money I spent to finally have it rectified.
I welcome any comments or thoughts.

let us know how it turns out ... im equally perplexed by the "barrel repaired" explanation. my first rifle was a little 77/22 ... thats probably still my favorite. accuracy is about as good as the ammo i buy for it. trigger is way too heavy, but ive gotten used to it

hmm... and to think, 4 yrs ago you HAD hair! 8)

Hey, let us know how it turns out!

I bought a 17 HMR Ruger Heavy Barrel Laminate for my Pastor a few years ago. I sighted it in and the first 3 shots at 100 yds were in one ragged hole. I adjusted the scope and fired 2 shots, both touching. 6th shot went wide about 4 inches. Consecutive shots went in about a 6in group. I cleaned the barrel real good, and found the pattern. The rifle would shoot 5 shots great from a clean barrel, then after that it was spray and pray. Rifling quality was poor and the barrel fouled quickly. It was a piece of crap and I took it back and traded it for a CZ. Just my experience with the Ruger 17.

Latest posts

Back