Sabots and Round Balls ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few cotton materials you can try. One is pillow ticking that you can pick up at walmart. The other is unbleached drill fabric that you can buy at JoAnn fabrics.
But if you don't want to go the route of cotton patches and you're having good accuracy with the sabots more power to you. Just because you're shooting a sidelock doesn't mean you have to use traditional methods.

I did find that the biggest problem with my patches was my short starter, after 30 years the brass ends on it had a few small burrs. I dressed it up and that did solve most of my problems with my patches, but being it’s winter and I’m bored I got some 8 oz cotton demin ( .020) I’m itching to get out to shoot some out to 100 yards. I was at the game land shooting range a few weeks ago, at 25 yards off the bench the round balls pretty much shot very small clover leafs dead center.

I used those poly patches in my first ..58 cal muzzleloader. Accurate enough to barkk squirrels at 50 yards, and I couldn't hit a pie plate at 100.

Back