Safety

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Yesterday we went rabbit hunting for a few hours. The rabbits were out in number and we let many go so the dog could enjoy the chase. I was going to shoot at a rabbit and my shotgun failed to fire. I rolled the gun over to investigate and the gun discharged. When this happened the gun was pointing toward the ground 180 degrees from my hunting buddy and 90 degrees from the dog. Perfect. A piece of my glove had gotten involved with the trigger somehow and caused the problem. Never before in 40 years of shooting that gun. (my favorite shotgun).

Just a reminder that no matter how experienced and or careful always point your gun in a safe direction.

FYI I am going to strip the gun today to make sure that was all there was to this. Do a mechanical check if you will.

Have a good day

But I pulled out my .410 single shot. Bought when I was 12 years old. From my brother who needed to sell it so he could by a 20 gauge pump from sears. We are at 20 of our 50 rabbit quota and I didn't score a rabbit with the 410 yesterday. Hopefully on Saturday.

For fun we have rules of engagement. Once we jump a rabbit the dog is called over and and the chase is on. We do not allow a shot on the rabbit until the dog has had a chance to run it for a lap or so. We lose a lot of rabbits to holes but generally come home with a couple. Last year rabbits were scarce here. This year there are plenty.

Last edited:
The hunting gods gave you a pass. Glad no one or anything got hurt. Years ago we were bunny hunting and I lost a dog to a very similar accident. My cousin went to put more shells in his gun and the gun went off striking my dog.

That's frightening!

b746d80191e3e75971e02d2214a2499d.jpg

Latest posts

Back