Savage 10 ML II Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided I wanted a Savage 10 ML II. Haven't been able to find one locally or at gun shows. So that leaves online.
I found one on Gunbroker in which from all the pics it seems to be in great shape.
Since I have no experience with the Savage 10 ML II, I was concerned with the pic of the breechplug. I've attached the pics here.
I assumed it would have either have the breechplug that used a 2 prong tool to remove, or an aftermarket that takes a 3/8' socket.
This looks like neither. Please help me to know what I am seeing in this pic.
Is that the brechplug?
How would you remove it?

Thank You

Attachments

• Savage 10.jpg
    Savage 10.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Savage ML.jpg
    Savage ML.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 0
Sorry I now realize that is the face of the bolt pic, So disregard my former post.
They actually posted no pics of the breechplug.
Upon asking them they says it has the original breechplug.
I am waiting on a pic of it from them.
Any advice on what all I should look for in the pics?

Original plugs used a 3 prong tool and around 2009 or so they changed to a hex head plug. Same time the MLII-BP came out.

Last edited:
Sorry I now realize that is the face of the bolt pic, So disregard my former post.
They actually posted no pics of the breechplug.
Upon asking them they says it has the original breechplug.
I am waiting on a pic of it from them.
Any advice on what all I should look for in the pics?
Ask to see the breech plug with the vent liner removed. If the vent liner cannot be removed I've read that you can drill out any deposits that may obstruct it. If you buy it I'd get some spare liners.

Did you find one? I have one I may part with.
I did not. I kinda gave up.
Found a 10 ML (not ML II) at a gun show. Guy let me try but I couldn’t get the breechplug out.
Give me the particulars on the one you may sell.
And price.
And your state. Maybe I could pick it up if you’re close.
I am still interested in one.

Thanks
Steve

I did not. I kinda gave up.
Found a 10 ML (not ML II) at a gun show. Guy let me try but I couldn’t get the breechplug out.
Give me the particulars on the one you may sell.
And price.
And your state. Maybe I could pick it up if you’re close.
I am still interested in one.

Thanks
Steve
The original Savage 10-ML used a standard Savage CF action with locking lugs.

I enjoyed my Savage ML II, but they can be finicky and you will probably need to do a fair amount of powder/bullet combinations to find out what works best in whatever Savage you get. Most of us here enjoy experimenting with various combinations, but it can be frustrating, not to mention costly. Should you choose to get one, there is a ton of info here to help you find the best load for your rifle.

Hello Fishbc. I would not buy one personally, had one for years. There are a lot better alternatives out there. I would call Mark Woodman and get a patriot. A-lot better made a lot lighter. Read about them on his web page. You would be a lot happier, in my opinion. Been there and done it… shorty

Hello Fishbc. I would not buy one personally, had one for years. There are a lot better alternatives out there. I would call Mark Woodman and get a patriot. A-lot better made a lot lighter. Read about them on his web page. You would be a lot happier, in my opinion. Been there and done it… shorty
Actually after reading the posts on here about the Savage 10 ML II I have decided against buying one.
I actually ordered the Woodman Patriot in 45 cal.
Thank you for your input.

Steve

Actually after reading the posts on here about the Savage 10 ML II I have decided against buying one.
I actually ordered the Woodman Patriot in 45 cal.
Apologies for my ignorance - is the Woodman Patriot a smokeless ML? The downloadable Owner's Manual on their website indicates to not use smokeless powder.

Apologies for my ignorance - is the Woodman Patriot a smokeless ML? The downloadable Owner's Manual on their website indicates to not use smokeless powder.
When properly set up the Patriot can handle light smokeless loads AFTER you have contacted Mark Woodman and expressed your interest in using smokeless powder.

I saw the owners manual online said that too.
In the website menu you will see “Load Data”. Open it and it will cover what smokeless loads are safe.
Smokeless is only for the .40 & .45 cal.
Not for the .50 cal. !!
Also the standard breechplug is ok for sabots with lighter bullets.
If using full bore you will need the adjustable breechplug.
There are lots of posts on here about smokeless loads in the patriot.

Latest posts

Back