Schoverling, Daly and Gales History....(ie. Charles Daly)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
I thought some folks might find this interesting....I know I did... :)

........I merely consulted Charles Carder's exceptionally helpful and well researched "Side By Sides of the World." If it is about older shotguns, I can usually find it in there. His entry for Charles Daly reads: DALY, CHARLES: Schoverling and Daly were importers and distributors located in New York City 1865 to 1939. About 1873, they reorganized and became Schoverling, Daly and Gales. They imported high grade side by sides in 1875 under the trade name of CHARLES DALY. That trade name was chosen because it had an appealing sound that they thought would influence the public to buy their guns. In 1919, Henry Modell bought out the company and maintained control until he sold out to the Walzers' family in the late 1920's. Eventually Sloan's Sporting Goods bought the company and established a branch known as the CHARLES DALY & CO., DIV. The primary source of early CHARLES DALY shotguns were from European gun makers. Some of the many different manufacturers of the DALY shotguns were Lefever Arms Co. of New York, U.S.A., Tolley of England, Newmann of Belgium, and Prussian gun makers, Schiller and Charles Lindner. Later guns came from Heym and Sauer of Germany, Beretta and Bernardelli of Italy, Garbi of Spain, and Miroku of Japan. The Japanese shotguns were imported from 1963 to 1973. Most collectors desire the Prussian DALY shotguns, which were exceptionally fine quality. Early CHARLES DALY shotguns are considered classic among shooters and collectors. CHARLES DALY shotguns include all traditional options. The trade name, CHARLES DALY, was purchased in 1976 by Outdoor Sports of Dayton, Ohio and that same year, Sloan's Sporting Goods Co., Inc. of Ridgefield, CT. advertised CHARLES DALY shotguns manufactured by Vincenzo Bernardelli. Hope this helps....JS

Charles Daly

After "Outdoor Sports Hdq" the countrys largest gun distributor at the time, aquired Charles Daly they took the shotgun manufacturing back to Italy and as compared to the "Miroku" made shotguns they were junk.

Outdoor Sports Hdq was owned by a Las Vegas holding company and filled chapter 11 in the early 90's. At the time they owed Remington $42 million and I don't think Remington ever got paid.

Jerry's Sport Center of Harrisburg,Pa. bought Outdoor Sports Hdq in the mid 90's and aquired the Charles Daly name. What Jerrys has done with Charles Daly name I do not know.

The Charles Daly name was purchased in 1996 by Michael Kassnar. Currenly, they import shotguns from Italy, Spain, and Tukey. Their rifles were imported from Zastava of Serbia, but they no longer offer them since Zastava decided to join with Remington Arms to make Mauser (Remington Model 798), Mini-Mauser (Remington Model 799) and Zastava rimfire rifles (Remington Model Five).

Their M1911 pistols are from BUL in Israel (I think). They also have a 1873 single action revolver from Czechoslovakia.

tooldog

Latest posts

Back