scope mounts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medir

Reaction score
hi guys,

what scope mounts would be recommended for a ML with open sights: medium or high?
I'm planning to install a Nikon scope.

I haven't done more than medium mounting a scope with iron sights, 3-9 x40 or smaller scopes. I do understand the low reasoning, depending on the gun, a little clearance to work the action(bolt) (with gloves) is a good thing.

Then 'medium' will vary some among manufacturers. I have a few of this and a few of those, Warne is one I often look to.

The scope dimensions will come into play with this decision. Also, whether you wish to leave on the rear sights. For most rifles a medium height is fine. I have two rifles with high mounts and they work well. I find with the low mounts, many times the bell of the scope does not allow it. So for the most part, a medium is what I suggest.

Also are you aware that the base comes into play too. Some bases are lower then others. And some medium rated rings are much higher then other medium rated rings.

Back