scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcpmv

Reaction score
I just bought a 50 cal Knight and was wonder if anyone could give me sugjestions on what to look for in a scope? What is a good all around power that I should be looing for. I will be hunting white tail deer, and the shots I will be take will be 50 to 100 yards, very thick were I hunt. This is my first muzzleloader, I mainly hunt with a bow, so any sugjestions would be great? Thanks for any advice Todd

If it is strictly a hunting scope and you aren't too worried about what it can do at the range, I'd look at a variable in the 2-6 power range. If you'll be doing lots of range work, then I'd go for a 3-9 or bigger. Something with a 40mm objective should do you just fine. For the most part, you get what you pay for with optics!

If going any larger than 40mm then you might have an issue with Ring Height's being they not all the same each manufacturer has their own heights as to what is a medium and high. But again like I seem to be asking the same questions being I am trying to mount a Simmons 3-10x44 Mag Scope and some rings just are a lot higher while others are not, when choosing the High Ring Height. For Example the Burris Signature Zee Rings are .420 while the Warne's high are .525 both being Highs so depending which Brand they might not offer the Clearance you are looking for or might offer a lot more than you are...

I am still looking for the ones that will work since some suggest Talleys will not work with the Burris Signature Zee Rings. I am hoping to use a fliup open scope capo at least on the front since the ML Season here is usually when it is snowing...

Glad to see you Join Todd!!! Hope you find the Info you are after...

So I am still wondering... Being most suppliers don't offer the Warne but do offer the Talley's with the Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Mike/LFM

Scope-?

Tod:
For hunting in the thick I use a leupold 1.5x5x20mm vari-x-III. Very wide field of view and 5" of eye relief. At 1.5x gives fast target acquisition with both eyes open, even for running shots. And 5x is plenty for hunting out to 150yds. I swap the same scope over to a shotgun barrel for shotgun season. Been working great for me. Just my preference. My second choice would be a 2x7 Burris compact. Both have been on heavy recoilers with no problems. Hope this helps. Dean.

thanks everyone for the input, still not sure what to buy? I guess its personal prefrence.

tcpmv said:
thanks everyone for the input, still not sure what to buy? I guess its personal prefrence.

To a large degree, it IS personal preference. You mention your hunting is in thick cover and your shots are typically 50-100yds. IMO..a really nice scope in the 1.75-5, 1.5-5, 1.5-6, 2-7, 2.5-8 magnification range would be really nice and that's probably what I'd get. Beyond that, it depends on how much you want to spend. So I guess THAT'S the question to you..How much do you want to spend?

Scope

Like many others, I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40 for my Omega. I've killed 4 deer with it and LOVE IT. Most shooting is less than 75 yards but this year I made a perfect shot off a rest at 100 yards. (The only time I've ever used 9X other than at the range)

I love my Leupold VX II Shotgun scope for my Encore. 2x7 is all I need and I hunt alot of the thick stuff, but I can also reach out there beyond 100yds.

Matt

Latest posts

Back