Scoped my TC white mountain carbine .54

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

Reaction score
First and foremost I know scoping a sidelock is taboo to many however I just wanted to. I mainly hunt trophy big dominate boar at night having a bait set up and Texas boars feeder lights. For the last 6 years I've taken many hogs at night 25 yards and less, using open sights a red headlamp and white paint on my front sight I angled the headlamp to see my rear sights and front sights.
I finally found a few sets of 9953 tc scope based and the 408 base made by weaver which attached to the 9953 base via 4 6-32 screws. Over the weekend I'm gonna decide what bullet it likes I've got a good supply of Hornady great plains .54 425 gr. A bunch of tc 430 maxi a few boxes of no excuse 535 gr and a bunch of Lee real 380 gr and have the 300 gr Lee real mold and the .380 gr mold. I have real black 2f graf powder and 3f in olde eynsford. I'm leary of pushing those 535 with more than 80 gr pyrodex RS. The recoil I can handle just don't want a busted stock. Put a Bushnell trophy 1.5 to to 4.5 shotgun scope with Weaver medium quad lock rings. Not sure if I like the quad lock rings I don't have a inch pound torque driver so snugged them up tight

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_130055.jpg
    IMG_20220831_130055.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220831_130122.jpg
    IMG_20220831_130122.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
I hear ya with those heavy bullets. My old CVA 54, does very well with the old round ball, so I'll leave it at that. I think they're about 230 grains.
Not saying that heavy bullets are bad, just not for my old shoulder.

First and foremost I know scoping a sidelock is taboo to many however I just wanted to.
I dont think its TABOO here. Live and let live. I think the "the other site" is a little more sensitive. Like the time I questioned about using BH 209 with scope, mounts, sabot, in a traditional rifle. Its all good.

I would use the 535 grainers. I bet you would have no problem knocking those hogs off their feet with 65 to 70 grains of powder at the distance you plan on hunting at.

First and foremost I know scoping a sidelock is taboo to many however I just wanted to. I mainly hunt trophy big dominate boar at night having a bait set up and Texas boars feeder lights. For the last 6 years I've taken many hogs at night 25 yards and less, using open sights a red headlamp and white paint on my front sight I angled the headlamp to see my rear sights and front sights.
I finally found a few sets of 9953 tc scope based and the 408 base made by weaver which attached to the 9953 base via 4 6-32 screws. Over the weekend I'm gonna decide what bullet it likes I've got a good supply of Hornady great plains .54 425 gr. A bunch of tc 430 maxi a few boxes of no excuse 535 gr and a bunch of Lee real 380 gr and have the 300 gr Lee real mold and the .380 gr mold. I have real black 2f graf powder and 3f in olde eynsford. I'm leary of pushing those 535 with more than 80 gr pyrodex RS. The recoil I can handle just don't want a busted stock. Put a Bushnell trophy 1.5 to to 4.5 shotgun scope with Weaver medium quad lock rings. Not sure if I like the quad lock rings I don't have a inch pound torque driver so snugged them up tight
I shoot long 700 yds with a Renegade 45 (530 grain ) paper patched Eliptical using 80/81 grains of OE 1/1/2 F most every Friday at our club range (40 -55 rds) every Friday , with the Rice 1-17 barrel and a mercury reducer installed in the stock it weighs in a little less than 12LBs .Don't think you need to worry !/Ed

Last edited:
I shoot long 700 yds with a Renegade 45 (530 grain ) paper patched Eliptical using 80/81 grains of OE 1/1/2 F most every Friday at our club range (40 -55 rds) every Friday , with the Rice 1-17 barrel and a mercury reducer installed in the stock it weighs in a little less than 12LBs .Don't think you need to worry !/Ed
Ive got one of those mercury reducers. Haven't got it in anything right now. How much difference did yours make? How many ounces is it?

Shame on you Howie. One should never scope a sidelock. It's just wrong.

(As my Forum friends know, I have sinned.)

31241061677_8e46f3f25e_c.jpg

Don't know been in use 3+ yrs and do not remember recoil ,maybe that caused the memory loss /hearing and cross eyes but it don't affect my shooting (much) I think /Ed
I was always told these physical symptoms are attributable to "reading the articles" of certain magazines whilst going through puberty last month

Latest posts

Back