Second deer with my Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omidv

Reaction score
I was able to take a really nice doe with my Mountaineer in December. Just like the bucks I shot, this one also dropped at the shot. I can’t be more pleased with this rifle and the Fury SBT 265gr bullets. BD7BF8A5-4C09-4EC1-AF9E-96663B3FB2A8.jpeg8C1D4623-CEFF-4FCB-8810-712D96190E79.jpeg

Beautiful rifle by the way, I have been looking at these in a .45 version-also curious about those Fury bullets. With my favorite bullet (Barnes 300gr Original Spitzer) being out of stock, and going up in price I will probably be trying some new ones out. What caliber did you get, and what sabot were you using, and what is the twist rate on your rifle?

Congrats, the dinner looks damn good. I have never had the energy after hunting and butchering to cook anything up that night.
I like to skin my deer as soon as I hang them. It only takes me about 15 minutes to skin one when they are warm. Then I just cut the back straps and inner loins out right then. Takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes total.

Beautiful rifle by the way, I have been looking at these in a .45 version-also curious about those Fury bullets. With my favorite bullet (Barnes 300gr Original Spitzer) being out of stock, and going up in price I will probably be trying some new ones out. What caliber did you get, and what sabot were you using, and what is the twist rate on your rifle?
Thank you. That’s a 45 1-20 twist. I don’t use a sabot, it’s bullet to bore with a veggie wad. You can pretty much get a one hole group with it at 100 yards. The Fury bullets are very reasonably priced and a bonded bullet. They expand great also but hold together with a stout charge of blackhorn. I bought a bow of the Barnes originals in .458 diameter and tried them in my 50 cal and they didn’t expand for me. The fury bullets are at .453 and I run them through a bullet sizing die to the point where they push down the barrel with ease.

Thank you. That’s a 45 1-20 twist. I don’t use a sabot, it’s bullet to bore with a veggie wad. You can pretty much get a one hole group with it at 100 yards. The Fury bullets are very reasonably priced and a bonded bullet. They expand great also but hold together with a stout charge of blackhorn. I bought a bow of the Barnes originals in .458 diameter and tried them in my 50 cal and they didn’t expand for me. The fury bullets are at .453 and I run them through a bullet sizing die to the point where they push down the barrel with ease.
THanks for the info, good to know

If i recall correctly, taking out the tenderloins and making them for dinner that night is(should be) required by the law(of the jungle). SO GOOD when they're that fresh.
Nothing better. I prefer it over loins that have been in the freezer.

Back