See No Evil, Hear No Evil, .........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I took my dog with me to a swampy area today to try to get a hog or two. No hogs were rousted out but we got a few coons on the way out.

I saw a couple scurry up a big oak in a dense saw palmetto patch. I knocked the she-coon out of the tree but didn't kill her. When she hit the ground, my dog tried to grab her. Well, a hellacious squalling fight erupted. I plowed in to see the semi-crippled coon launch herself onto Nyssa's head but got shaken off. I lowered the gun's barrel and blasted the coon from 2 feet.I saw a blood spot on Nyssa's forehead about a half-inch from her eye. Fortunately, it was the coon's blood as my dog was uninjured.
Next I shot the young coon out of the tree and had Nyssa retrieve them both to take a picture. She kept looking up into the tree and wouldn't sit.

Croom%20Coons%201web_zpssw9hh0dj.jpg

I looked up into the tree then and spotted another young 'un flattened up against a vertical limb.

BAM !  .. and down it came. Then she sat and posed once they were all reunited.

Croom%20Coons%209web_zpsew7meyzl.jpg

<table class="datalist"><tr class="trow"><td class="name"></td><td class="email"></td></tr></table>

wow thats a hell of a hunt to be on!!

Do you skin these coons out? I've love to get into that kind of hunting/trapping.

I don't eat them or skin them. There are folks around who love roast coon and BBQ coon but I'm not one of them. These were dropped off to an old guy who lives about 2 miles from me. He always invites me over to eat with him but I've never accepted.

Nyssa goes nuts over chasing and treeing coons.

*** I just read my post and realized how stupid it looked when I said I dropped them off at an "old guy". The old guy is about 8 yrs. younger than me. :silent:

I do that too. Everybody is an old fart until I look in the mirror and scare myself.

Nyssa is a neat dog.

i grew up eating coons. Except for old males, the meat is usually pretty good. i soak the meat in lightly salted water over night, parboil, bread and bake.

This part of OK is over run with coons, they're everywhere.

Neat dog. Nothing better than watching a good dog do his/her job. We have Labs, smart dogs but you have to start them early and stay tough with them.

falcon said:
Nyssa is a neat dog.  

i grew up eating coons.  Except for old males, the meat is usually pretty good.  i soak the meat in lightly salted water over night, parboil, bread and bake.  

This part of OK is over run with coons, they're everywhere.    

I too have eaten Raccoon. When I was a kid I trapped a lot and once in awhile my Mom would say, "Save one of those smaller ones an I'll roast it". I would bring the skinned, gutted and beheaded carcass in and she would clean off all the fat and remove the glands (which she called "kernels") then soak it overnight in salt water. The next day she'd rinse it off and parboil it in some lightly salted water for a bit then put it in a roaster with some sliced up onion and a little cold water in the bottom.

I remember the meat being good although a bit stringy with a taste somewhat but not quite, like that of roast pork.

BPS

"We have Labs, smart dogs but you have to start them early and stay tough with them."

Labs are retrieving machines and not nearly as hard-headed as a Chesapeake. Boykins are a lot softer than labs but are good retrievers until you get up to goose-sized birds.

I totally agree with starting them early. Florida has a law against selling puppies under 8 weeks old but I think 7 weeks is when they should be started with 'play retrieves'.

I got Nyssa at 8 weeks and she was retrieving by 9 weeks. At 2 yrs. old I entered her in the intermediate class of the Boykin Spaniel National Field Trial. It was the first field trial for both of us and she finished 9th out of 37 entries. With a decent handler, she would have finished in the money.

Enough bragging on my dog ... now let me tell you about my grandkids. :lol: :lol:

patocazador said:
There were no adult males, John. A bear will give you a better one. :twisted:
Right on Bob, we have both in the same glass next to the toothpicks. Good conversation pieces when the "slicks" ask what they are.  :lol:

John

Smokin' Joe said:
Coffee stirring sticks??????? :barf:
"The baculum (also penis bone, penile bone or os penis) is a bone found in the penis of most mammals. It is absent in humans, equids, marsupials, lagomorphs, and hyenas, among others. It is used for copulation and varies in size and shape by species. Its characteristics are sometimes used to differentiate between similar species. The oosik of Native Alaskan cultures is a polished and sometimes carved baculum of various large northern carnivores such as walruses. The raccoon baculum is sometimes worn as a charm for luck or fertility.

Mammals having a penile bone:

Carnivora (including members of many well-known Families, such as Ursids (bears), Felids (cats), Canids (dogs), Pinnipeds (Walruses, Seals, Sea Lions), Procyonids (Raccoons etc), and others."

I also grew up trapping for anything I could sell, beaver, otter, muskrat, fox and coons mostly. Another kid in the neighborhood who was just a little bit crazier than me had a coon "bone" he carried around as a toothpick. I can still see him with it in his mouth to this day. :no: :no:

Glenn

Back