Shooting smokeless after rotator cuff surgery

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

163bc

Reaction score
Got a new Encore conversion from Arrowhead last season. Really enjoyed shooting it but it has significant recoil. I have rotator cuff surgery coming up and hope to be able to shoot some by this fall. Any suggestions for reducing recoil on an Encore Smokeless are greatly appreciated. I've ordered a muzzle brake already. Thinking of a lead sled?? Thanks in advance.

I shot my Arrowhead Encore after my rotator cuff surgery. I use a Lead Sled with no weights. I was fine.
My Encore has no brake. I shoot 250 and 290 gr Barnes mostly. The Sled with no weights will tame recoil considerably. You will be OK especially with your new brake.

I had major shoulder surgery in my shooting side shoulder, rotator cuff, re-pin bicep and a few other goodies...dont do anything for a good 4 or more months till your healed and finish rehab or you will be back in for more surgery to repair the ripped muscles again...its been a few years and I have no issue with shooting high recoil calibers...dont push to do heavy work or anything that can cause issue, speak with your surgeon and be guided by what they recommend....but you want to use a large recoil pad that you wear over your shoulder area to spread out the push back so it is not concentrated in one small spot ....

Thank you all for the good feedback. I'm currently shooting 60 grains of 4198 under a 275 grain bullet. Im likely to stick w that because i dont think ill be doing any new load development?? Looks like a lead sled, and shoulder pads are in my future.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100251283/
All Good Advice.
You may want to get a PAST Mag Plus Recoil Pad Shield.
Also, you may want to try 195 & 200 Gr .40 Caliber Bullets in Harvester Light Blue Smooth Sabots.
Not Sure if it is the shape of the Stock but the TC Encore seems to have the Fierces Recoil of all my Rifles? 🐴😮Most of my Barrels have Muzzle Brakes.

Would love to hear of any 250 grain loads that might shoot well out of a smokeless.

I also plan to start learning to shoot left handed.

57grs n120 with a 250gr Fury startip bore rider, shoots great out of my gun at 100 yards. Only started the smokeless thing 4 months ago. But bullets touch at 100 yards.
do you have to resize the fury bullets?

Yes you have to resize the fury bullets, if I had a busted shoulder of the different loads I've shot a lot I think I would go back to my 50 cal smokeless-rated barrels and go back to a powder like 4759 because I can download that real light, from what I understand n110 you could do the same, I would stick the 250 Fury black tip in a harvester black sabot, it's real easy to load real light with that combination and I've had excellent accuracy you could let a kid shoot it to me anything in the 275 grain category and 4198 or powder similar is just too much recoil for broke shoulder or a shoulder that's been repaired until it's 100%

My suggestion would be try 40 cal bullets in a Harvester light blue sabot. I shoot N110, eastern Maine wool wad (use on the upper end of charge weight) with a HLBS. I shoot it in a Scout conversion.

Latest posts

Back