SHOTGUN QUESTION

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warren

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just getting started in this game, and have a new sidelock double barrel shotgun with screw in choke tubes, that I have not fired yet because I'm not sure of the right components to buy. I have bought - shot - caps and powder and have ordered some I/2" fiber cushion wads and some over shot cards - and was wondering if any of you have tried the little plastic gas seal wads from Ballistic Products Inc. I was thinking of trying them instead of the over powder card wads.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

By the way - this is one great forum - I have learned a lot here already.
You folks are to be congratulated.

On my single shot 12 gauge traditional shotgun I load 80 grains of powder, then an over the powder card. If you have none of these, you can punch them out of old milk container cardboard and use a hollow hole punch. Then a fiber wad that is greased. On top of that is the shot. Normally for small game I load 80 to 85 grains of shot. Or you can push a plastic shot cup from a standard shotgun down the bore onto the over the powder wad. Then using a second shot cup, pour an equal amount of shot down the bore. Then the over the shot card. I normally put two of the thin over the shot cards on it. This makes a good grouse load when using the short plastic wad cup and #6 shot.

Handy shotgun data for the new smooth bore shooter... POWDER DRAM TO GRAIN CONVERSION
DRAM MEASURE-------GRAIN EQUIVALENT
2? --------------------68.0
2? --------------------75.0
3 ----------------------82.0
3? --------------------89.0
3? --------------------96.0
3? --------------------102.0

LEAD SHOT SIZE AND WEIGHT
Shot#---Diameter---Weight ea.--------# pellets/oz (approximate)
#2 -------.15" -------4.86 gr ----------------------90
#4 -------.13" -------3.24 gr ----------------------135
#5 -------.12" -------2.57 gr ----------------------170
#6 -------.11" -------1.94 gr ----------------------225
#7 -------.095" ------1.25 gr ----------------------350
#8 -------.090" ------1.07 gr ----------------------410
#9 -------.08" -------0.75 gr ----------------------585

1. Measure and pour the correct powder charge down each barrel. If shooting a double barrel gun it might be wise to charge each barrel at the same time to avoid confusion as to what has been done in the loading process.

2. The over powder wad is next. Depending on the choke of your weapon, these wads can be snug to very tight. Start an edge of the wad and then finish it off by pushing it down on top of your powder with the ramrod. Seat the wad firmly on top of the powder.

3. The fiber cushion wad comes next---unless you are using a plastic sleeve type at this time. Fiber wads are not loaded dry. If not pre-lubed---Wonder-Lube , Natural Lube 1000 or another readily available lube can be used. Push the cushion wad firmly down on top of the over powder wad. If using a plastic sleeve, seat the sleeve just as you did the cushion wad.

4. Measure and pour the desired charge of shot down the barrel.

5. The over-shot card wad is next. Again---firmly push the wad down the barrel till it is firmly seated on top of the shot charge.

6. Return your ramrod to the thimbles.

7. With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, place your cap on the nipples. If the cap is loose---squeeze the skirt of the cap together and reinstall. Lower the hammers to half cock.

8. If during a hunt only one barrel of a double barrel shotgun is fired----remove the cap or empty the priming powder from the pan of the second barrel during reloading ---this will help prevent accidental discharge while you are reloading.

BLACK POWDER DRAM TO GRAIN CONVERSION
DRAM MEASURE-------GRAIN EQUIVALENT
2? --------------------68.0
2? --------------------75.0
3 ----------------------82.0
3? --------------------89.0
3? --------------------96.0
3? --------------------102.0

LEAD SHOT SIZE AND WEIGHT
Shot#---Diameter---Weight ea.--------# pellets/oz (approximate)
#2 -------.15" -------4.86 gr ----------------------90
#4 -------.13" -------3.24 gr ----------------------135
#5 -------.12" -------2.57 gr ----------------------170
#6 -------.11" -------1.94 gr ----------------------225
#7 -------.095" ------1.25 gr ----------------------350
#8 -------.090" ------1.07 gr ----------------------410
#9 -------.08" -------0.75 gr ----------------------585

1. Measure and pour the correct powder charge down each barrel. If shooting a double barrel gun it might be wise to charge each barrel at the same time to avoid confusion as to what has been done in the loading process.

2. The over powder wad is next. Depending on the choke of your weapon, these wads can be snug to very tight. Start an edge of the wad and then finish it off by pushing it down on top of your powder with the ramrod. Seat the wad firmly on top of the powder.

3. The fiber cushion wad comes next---unless you are using a plastic sleeve type at this time. Fiber wads are not loaded dry. If not pre-lubed---Wonder-Lube , Natural Lube 1000 or another readily available lube can be used. Push the cushion wad firmly down on top of the over powder wad. If using a plastic sleeve, seat the sleeve just as you did the cushion wad.

4. Measure and pour the desired charge of shot down the barrel.

5. The over-shot card wad is next. Again---firmly push the wad down the barrel till it is firmly seated on top of the shot charge.

6. Return your ramrod to the thimbles.

7. With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, place your cap on the nipples. If the cap is loose---squeeze the skirt of the cap together and reinstall. Lower the hammers to half cock.

8. If during a hunt only one barrel of a double barrel shotgun is fired----remove the cap or empty the priming powder from the pan of the second barrel during reloading ---this will help prevent accidental discharge while you are reloading.

maybe that load diate will help you out.

Good info Cayuga

Many thanks.
May I ask where you got that info? I have been considering getting one of the black powder handbooks - but have not done so because none of them that I am aware of, have current info (such as BH 209 data). I have been waiting for someone to print a book that is up to date.

I really appreciate your reply. Grouse will be my primary target the rest of this year.

I was not aware that the fiber cushion wad had to be lubed.

The information was gotten from different forums I visit. I really could not tell you which ones, or who was the author of the information. I keep a journal of all my shooting. And any good information that I might need down the road or come across, I enter in the journal.

My first smoothbore was a .62 caliber (20 gauge) and I wanted to shoot .610 ball out of it and hunt grouse with it. Well it shot ball ok out to 35 yards but I never seemed to hit a grouse with it. So I went to a 12 gauge T/C New Englander and that one having a choke did the trick. Between the dog and I we started taking grouse finally.

DCP07046.jpg

The dog passed a couple years ago, and I have kind of lost the desire to hunt grouse anymore. Even though I live in a grouse infested area. I've had as many as eleven of them in my yard at my bird feeders, picking up off the ground what the song birds spilled. I thought my poor old dad was going to have a fit that day.

Now I have a Knight TK2000 as well and it is a inline black powder shotgun. Very accurate and hard hitting. I think Semisane has a shotgun like you described.

Thanks again Cayuga.

My Grouse dog passed 13 yrs. ago, and I'm just now getting interested in going after them again - just walking them up. However - I did see an add somewhere the other day - someone has Gordon setters for sale - and it really gave me the old itch. I have a real soft spot for Gordon Setters. My Brother had a Gordon for years, and she was hands down, the best "all around" gun dog and companion that I ever knew.

That's awesome! Getting to watch all those Grouse at your bird feeders. We have lots of "nice fat" Gray Squirrels,at our feeders and once in awhile,some turkeys and lots of Deer later in the winter - but - so far - no grouse.

I like the journal idea - Thanks for reminding me. I used to keep a journal back when I was into Striped Bass fishing. Time to start again!

Latest posts

Back