CVA Wolf V1

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVAKodiak50

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have a CVA Kodiak that I use for my primary hunting ML, in my state I’m allowed to carry 2 while hunting. I have a CVA wolf V1 (older model) and I have always had trouble with it shooting groups, when I tried using it a few years ago I was shooting with 120-130gr of powder by vol (pyrodex FF) because it is a magnum. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this rifle and if less powder (90-100gr) would make it shoot more accurately and consistently? I know over charging can cause this now. But at the time shooting I did not, therefor I thought it was junk and bought a new one. Any advice on getting it to shoot straight? Thank you.

What bullet are you shooting? How much has the gun been shot...how many times? Are you using a bullet/sabot?

If it were me and I was shooting a bullet in the 250/300 grain range with a sabot I'd start with 90 [v] grains of powder and slowly work my way up from there. to about 110 grains [v]. I'd expect the best accuracy to fall somewhere inside these load parameters.

If you've shot over 250 loads thru the gun, I might suspect the plug to be eroded enough to affect accuracy and would invest in a new plug. I'd use a welding tip cleaner of about .035 to check the flame hole at the powder end of the plug. If the .035 cleaner tip slides into the hole easily or has some play to it, the plug is going to be bad enough to cause erratic accuracy.

What bullet are you shooting? How much has the gun been shot...how many times? Are you using a bullet/sabot?

If it were me and I was shooting a bullet in the 250/300 grain range with a sabot I'd start with 90 [v] grains of powder and slowly work my way up from there. to about 110 grains [v]. I'd expect the best accuracy to fall somewhere inside these load parameters.

If you've shot over 250 loads thru the gun, I might suspect the plug to be eroded enough to affect accuracy and would invest in a new plug. I'd use a welding tip cleaner of about .035 to check the flame hole at the powder end of the plug. If the .035 cleaner tip slides into the hole easily or has some play to it, the plug is going to be bad enough to cause erratic accuracy.
Using 295gr powerbelts, it’s been shot less than 100 rds, cleaned after every use, breech plug, ect all cleaned.

Latest posts

Back